Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 AM   #21

Porsche did fix some of the known problems from the 986... like a giant circular air filter as supposed to the tiny flat air filter in the 986 that's definitely restrictive.

And on the 981, dual intake tubes coming from both driver and passenger side, allowing even more air in.

9A1 oil filter is noticeably longer as well.

Last edited by ekam; 05-04-2018 at 03:22 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #22

I feel like Porsche added 200lbs worth of bushings on the 987. It's definitely not as connected to the road.

I can't say it "replaced" my 986...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #23

After Ceremic Pro Gold...

Old 05-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Wow. I think I'm going to miss my 986.

Few observations:
- My 986 felt like a race car compare to the 987. Shifter, clutch, gas pedal all felt soft and no sensation?
- Car is way too quiet.
- You feel the car is moving but you feel less involved. Even turning the key felt like some software is cranking the engine for you instead of the mechanical feel of the 986.
The same thing has happened with sport bikes. My late, beloved Ducati's, a 1992 851SP and a 1995 900SS/SP weren't rocket ships, but they were visceral, cranky, uncomfortable, and a downright blast to ride.

Fast forward to the new Ducati's, and while the acceleration and handling is absolutely mind-boggling, it's also rather boring. Traction control, wheelie control, ABS and "selectable" riding modes almost take the "sport" out of it. In my opinion, it also makes them more dangerous, as they lull you into a false sense of security. One of the MotoGP guys rode the new Panigale, and said it was "too easy to ride" which causes you to continue to seek the limits of the machine. The new Ducati's can do a wheel stand at 100mph with the flick of the wrist (wheelie control turned off of course).

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 AM   #25

A quick follow-up:

- Fabspeed headers/catback fixed the sound problem, plus reducing weight and adding more power.
- The 987 (MY 07-12) shift cables are defective, resulting in mushy shifting feel and the cables will eventually pop out of the transmission requiring a tow. Porsche released a set of updated cables with 2 mounting brackets. Now the shifter clicks into each gear like it should.
- Soft brake pedal can be fixed with GT3 Master Cylinder, I just need to get it installed.

Hated the MY09 thin steering wheel with triangle airbag, replaced with GT4 steering wheel in leather.