Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

Hard to locate this oil leak

I'm hoping you guys can give me a heads up on what this leak may be. Most times but not always when I drive the car, a few minutes after I park it I find this oil puddle under the car. I've put the car in the air, and the obvious things like valve covers, plug tubes, etc are dry. The whole cylinder head area of the engine is dry. It is by the inside of the passenger rear wheel. It seems to be coming from above, but for the life of me I don't see where it's coming from. The top of the aluminum diagonal brace is wet with oil. I thought maybe the oil fill tube is leaking, but I have not added any oil. When the engine is run, does any oil get pushed up into the fill tube perhaps and is now leaking out? How do I get to the oil fill tube to check it? What else is up there that can leak? Any ideas anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to attach a photo below. This photo was taken about 15 min after the car was driven.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

i'd say oil fill tube. when you drive the oil sloshes around and gets up in the tube and dribbles out.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

AOS..? (based on location of puddle)
AOS to head accordion hose?
AOS return hose to block?
As mentioned by RK, oil fill hose?

If you cannot pinpoint the source, it's best to wash the entire engine and once dries out go for a drive..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
MWS

Based on location I would also guess fill tube. This is a dumb suggestion, but have you checked to see if your dipstick is fully seated (is there oil around the dipstick cap or any oil in the recessed cubby in the trunk)?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Guess I'll have to tear the plenums and everything off to take a good look around up there. Very hard to see without doing that. They sure have that engine packed tight in there !

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, the dipstick is seated and all is dry in the trunk.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I wouldn't be too hasty to start tearing things apart. I know that it's lots of fun and all but you risk breaking some pretty old plastic and possibly finding air leaks afterwards. A good light and an inspection mirror may be more appropriate. Good light works miracles! As Gilles mentioned, clean and dry everything in the area and put on your patience cap...
Best of luck!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Yeah, if it is the AOS, or connections, or the oil fill tube (my guess) that should be able to be determined visually with good light etc. You'll have to do it from the top though. Should be pretty obvious from the amount of oil you are loosing.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #8

This is NOT good. See this:........

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/71409-ugh-oil-water-guess-i-need-oil-cooler.html#post565615