Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Latest oil report

Thought I would post my most recent oil analysis.
Seems OK apart from increase in Copper!
The 2015 (53,000 miles) report was on Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 and latest report (67,000 miles) is DT40.

Any comments / ideas / questions / etc. welcome.

njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
MWS

First...wow; impressive. I'll admit that these values mean nothing to me (and I really wish they did) but being a highly analytical person I find this report extremely interesting. I am also very impressed that you were so interested in the composition of your oil that you sourced out an analysis...not just once, but twice as a comparative baseline. Very cool geeky stuff, but if I may ask...what do you plan to do with this information?

Second...(and this is very weird) after reading every value on the report, I saw the location as Fort Wayne...I only live about 30 mi from there. I think I might be giving them a call, and see what services they offer and gather more details from them. Weird, cool and yet another reason to read every post on this forum.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

I know really I should have an analysis every oil change - I will do this in future.
Just wondering why the elevated Copper?
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
MWS

Did you consider that the variance could be due to different types of oil? Just a thought, what about sending them a clean sample (fresh from bottle) of both oils just to get an accurate baseline...there could be trace elements in the fresh oil.

I can understand your concern over the Copper, but look at the drop in Molybedenum from 18 to 1 and the drop in Boron from 31 to 3...given these wild differences, the increase in Copper from 11 to 17 could also be due to the same factor (my money is still on different oil).

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote