Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #1

Garage
Wheel Bearing Noise?

Posting for some help diagnosing what I believe could be a wheel bearing going bad. However, it doesn't sound like other wheel bearings I've had fail on other vehicles before so looking for some confirmation.

The noise sounds like a higher pitch scraping/squealing noise coming from my driver side rear wheel. It varies with wheel speed and does not change under braking. The noise goes away during left-hand turns.

I initially thought it could be something scraping against the rotor, but took the pads out and took a close look and couldn't find anything. Not completely eliminating that possibility, but I couldn't diagnose it myself.

See a video of me spinning the wheel while the pads were removed from the caliper. Any ideas?

-tWv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:51 PM   #2

how old is the car, how many miles? It would make sense that if it is the rear driver side that when you turn left the noise goes down. When turning left all the load shifts to the front pass and rear pass side and the rear driver is under much less load.

They are not that costly about $85 each
Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
how old is the car, how many miles? It would make sense that if it is the rear driver side that when you turn left the noise goes down. When turning left all the load shifts to the front pass and rear pass side and the rear driver is under much less load.

They are not that costly about $85 each
98 Boxster, around 90K miles. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or space to fix myself right now, so will need to bring into a shop. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, will have it diagnosed and report back.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:52 AM   #4

Garage
Posting an update here for posterity.

I ended up circling back to this to diagnose this past weekend.

As I stated in my previous post, I removed the pads and the noise was still present. Pointed to either wheel bearing or something with the parking brake.

This time, I then removed the caliper and rotor and spun the hub itself, no noise. Likely not the bearing.

Finally, I cleaned off the inside surface of the rotor the best I could where the parking brake shoes make contact. I also tightened the parking brake sprocket to have the brake shoes sit further away from the ID of the rotor. Put everything back together and no noise!

Final Diagnosis - parking brake shoes scraping against the rotor.