Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #1

Boxster Engine Removal?Quicklift?

I'm tired of floor jacking my Boxster and am planning a future engine removal. Do any of the Quicklift Portable Vehicle Lifts elevate a Boxster high enough to remove the engine? Or can I use one to lift the car in a couple of increments to jack stands high enough to accomplish an engine R&R?
Let me know your experience with this, please. I have a one story garage and don't have ceiling height for a 2 post lift, which would be ideal.

Thanks,
rwc94303

Rwc94303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

You will need about 24 inches to drop the engine. The lift specs should tell you that. Make sure there are no parts of the lift system that might pass under the engine bay.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

No knowledge of the Quicklift but I do have a Quickjack 7000 which is perfect for my needs. However, IMHO it does not have enough lift (19.4” with the large rubber blocks) to drop the engine. I do not see any safe way to incrementally lift using a combination of the Quickjack and jack stands. Also, the QJ lifts diagonally rather than straight up, so even if there was enough lift height, the diagonal lift trajectory could be a non-starter.

Per the specs, maximum lift of the QJ7000 is 23.7” with the pinned SUV adapters, but no way will the QJ w/SUV adapters fit under the 986.

Here’s the QJ site link with all specs:

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems/bl-7000slx-portable-car-lift.html

And here’s a couple of pics of mine at max lift:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-26-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #4

I'd recommend a scissor lift if you have the ceiling height.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc94303 View Post
I'm tired of floor jacking my Boxster and am planning a future engine removal. Do any of the Quicklift Portable Vehicle Lifts elevate a Boxster high enough to remove the engine? Or can I use one to lift the car in a couple of increments to jack stands high enough to accomplish an engine R&R?
Let me know your experience with this, please. I have a one story garage and don't have ceiling height for a 2 post lift, which would be ideal.

Thanks,
rwc94303
It would be nice to be able to afford a Quickjack, but besides the fact that it takes valuable space in the shop, it is rather expensive. And, no, it won't lift the car high enough to get the engine to clear the rear suspension system parts that you will leave in the car.

I just finished changing an engine, I used two tall jackstands that would hold the car high enough and an air-pneumatic 12 ton jack to lift the car in stages to the correct height. I used a cherry picker-engine hoist to lower the engine onto a reinforced (w/ 3/4" plywood) furniture flat dolly--be sure to strap the engine/transmission to the dolly with ratcheting cargo straps. (you don't want to know what happens if you don't.) All this stuff is from Harbor Freight--you need a compressor for the air jack. Oh, and invest in those foam floor pads that HF, Home Depot, and Lowes sell. Your knees will thank you some day.

Take careful notes, as you disconnect something, write it down in the order you take it off. It all has to go back together in a fairly specific order--if you don't you'll have to go back, lower the engine and connect the component. There is virtually no room around the engine to do anything without lowering the engine.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-26-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Garage
OLDCARGUY,
Thanks for posting your pix. My 02 Box S has been eager to jump on my QuickJack 3500. It has been busy holding my MGB up for an engine swap. My quick measurements make me suspect the height would be insufficient to drop the 986 motor. So, considering getting the Box up on jack stands then sliding the collapsed QuickJack secured on RR ties in position, then raising it to ~24". I know...sounds "Shade Tree" and I do recognize the "Murphy Law" factor.
Thoughts?
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer

When I did mine, I made up a series of 3 inch thick pads about a foot square in wood. I have a floor jack that lifts to 24 inches. I supported the car on regular jack stands that were placed on top of 2 or 3 pads. I tugged and shoved the car once installed to make sure it was safe and sound.

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine removal , jacking , quicklift