986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Automatic car washes and side intakes? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71097)

MWS 02-22-2018 11:48 AM

Automatic car washes and side intakes?

Over my years of ownership I have usually tried to hand wash, but I'll admit once and a while I have done an automatic car wash. I've been reluctant to do so primarily because of the side intakes and didn't want water where it shouldn't be.

I've been thinking about making a set of "plugs" out of 2" styrofoam to cover the side intakes during a car wash, but was wondering if this is really needed, or if I am just looking to for something to do. I am aware of the other issues with automatic car washes and why not to use them (recycled water, detergents, etc.), but would just like advice on the side intakes in relationship to automatic washes.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao 02-22-2018 12:16 PM

I would not advise automatic car wash for the Box, but I store mine for the winter and drive only Spring/summer/fall and handwash wax throughout the summer

alm001 02-22-2018 12:25 PM

I'd almost be more concerned about whatever soap they are using and your fabric top.

If you have a stock intake box with snorkel, this shouldn't be an issue. I have a cone that is visible if you look into the opening, so I stay away from spraying heavily into it.

Pdwight 02-22-2018 01:15 PM

This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 563400)
I would not advise automatic car wash for the Box, but I store mine for the winter and drive only Spring/summer/fall and handwash wax throughout the summer

It's the size of 4 or 5 filing cabinets....hand wash it

Brian in Tucson 02-22-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 563407)
It's the size of 4 or 5 filing cabinets....hand wash it

I can't imagine that those beater brushes, whatever detergent, and hot wax are good for the fabric top or the plastic rear window. I have my other cars washed at the CW, but I think I'll just refrain from getting the Boxster washed.

Topless 02-22-2018 01:38 PM

I ran mine through the touchless wash places a dozen times with no issues. My stock snorkel is still in place and I think it does offer some protection from water.

my15window 02-22-2018 02:42 PM

my snorkel is deleted, and I use the brushless
every now and then I just
don't use the blow dry

wmjosiah 02-22-2018 03:36 PM

No problem with that

I drive my '01S all year round (I just bought it this fall, so what I really mean is I've been driving it this winter) and take it through the automatic car wash every time it gets at all salty if it's below freezing. If it's above freezing, I hand-wash it. The only issue I've ever had is with the high-pressure rinse causing some leaks into the cabin up front where the top meets the windows, so I bring a towel. The car does not leak at all in the rain. My top is brand-new. I don't know about the long-term effects of soap on the top, but so far I haven't seen any ill effects. I do, however, turn the car off while it's being washed.

rick3000 02-22-2018 03:55 PM

Everyone should avoid any car wash with brushes or wheel tracks. But while I prefer a hand wash, I willl often use touchless DIY coin car washes. No issues with the side intakes, just try to avoid spraying high pressure water directly into them.