Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Garage
roll bar removal

I would like to remove my roll bar to repaint it. Is it easily removed? Procedure? How are the pads held in. I have a 2000 S. Thanks!

dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Pads just pop out. I just did. Nothing glued in. Check out instructions for putting roof down manually for name and pictures of part you pop off on each side.
Remove carpet behind seats and over engine cover. Remove 3 nut on each side that hold on roof and remove.
Remove side car carpet pieces vertical (one screw each) in cabin to expose 2 nuts on each side (front of roll bar). Remove nuts.
Back, pop off 2 plastic fasteners on each side and lift padding.
Where rear of roll bar is, there is a soft sponge like foam piece around each bar. Pull out. Two nuts on each side are now exposed. Remove, roll bar will come out.
Have a helper.
If I missed anything someone, please chime in.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The pads do come off. If its the first time they have been off your car, they will put up a fight. I was sure I was going to break something, but didn't. I watched a YT video and just trusted it would work. My guess is they come off much easier the second time.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Garage
Excellent. Thanks DWBOX2000 and rexcramer.
dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The pads do come off. If its the first time they have been off your car, they will put up a fight. I was sure I was going to break something, but didn't. I watched a YT video and just trusted it would work. My guess is they come off much easier the second time.
From someone who installs and removes the BK Roll Bar extension at the start and end of HPDE season, I can attest to the fact that those pads come off a lot easier after the first time! And if those little mounting studs on the back of the pads get bent, just take some pliers and straighten them out. There are 3 on the back of each hoop section, I can't say on the center pad as that doesn't come off for the BK extension.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

Don't paint. Have it powder coated.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote