Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
2007 Cayman S

AOS Procedure

Hello guys - I am going to risk being humiliated, but I am going to ask you all for some help anyway! My 02 Base is in storage for another 6 weeks so I can’t just go look at it. My issue is that in the Spring I am going to proactively replace my AOS before it fails and I am reading and studying. I am a modest DYI guy. I am a little spooked by this project. I am using Pelicans (Wayne Dempsey) instructions but he does not mention any other components that need to be removed before you can get access to the AOS from your engine compartment. I am suspicious of this and bet that there are some components that must be removed out of the way. But, to be certain, I want to ask: is there anything that must be removed to open access to the AOS from the top or is it sitting there just like in Wayne's Figure 2 picture, when you open the engine cover? Thanks fellas.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

Garage
Just do a google search "How to replace AOS on a 2002 Porsche Boxster" and you will get a lot of info there.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Garage
Get cable pliers
I did some work from top some from below
I may have removed fender liner
May have removed secondary air pump
It is all about getting best access and patience
Its getting the hoses off and on at bottom of the AOS

Last edited by kk2002s; 02-17-2018 at 04:03 PM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:12 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Get cable pliers
I did some work from top some from below
I may have removed fender liner
May have removed secondary air pump
It is all about getting best access and patience
Its getting the hoses off and on at bottom of the AOS
From what I'm understanding... the accordion hose at the bottom, with the spring loaded clip... just cut right through it. You're not going to reuse it. You going to replace it.

I purchased the Sears tool to compress that springs and, then, after reading more posts about the AOS replacement read more and more about cutting that hose.

My plan, when replacing the AOS, is to do a bunch of other stuff while I'm in there. Plugs. Tubes. WP. LTT. Wheels coming off. Under carriage plastic coming off... fender liners... I'm opening that MF up for as much room as possible.

Read as many posts as you can... and figure out what else you can do while you're down there.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
From what I'm understanding... the accordion hose at the bottom, with the spring loaded clip... just cut right through it. You're not going to reuse it. You going to replace it.

I purchased the Sears tool to compress that springs and, then, after reading more posts about the AOS replacement read more and more about cutting that hose.

My plan, when replacing the AOS, is to do a bunch of other stuff while I'm in there. Plugs. Tubes. WP. LTT. Wheels coming off. Under carriage plastic coming off... fender liners... I'm opening that MF up for as much room as possible.

Read as many posts as you can... and figure out what else you can do while you're down there.
I’ve done this a few times and one of them was a Tiptronic Trans and yes the easiest way to remove that hose is to cut through it. Just be careful cutting through making sure you don’t cut any other components.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

Garage
If you are going to keep you P car for a while, you should consider a Bentley Service Manual. Use it to supplement the postings here and Youtube. Also consider 101 Projects handbook from Pelicans
Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I’ve done this a few times and one of them was a Tiptronic Trans and yes the easiest way to remove that hose is to cut through it. Just be careful cutting through making sure you don’t cut any other components.
Patience. Pragmatism. Since purchasing my car 6 months ago, and inspired by reading a lot on these forums, I am preoccupied with those two words every time I attend to the Box. Further, every time I surface from under the hood, I'm a better husband because of it.

A marriage license should be granted contingent upon the prospective groom owning a Porsche. Bet the divorce rate would drop.

Thank you. I'll be watching for those hoses.