Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Best available diagnostic system for our cars?

I'm new to Porsche, so I'm still on a steep learning curve. I have owned multiple Mercedes Benz vehicles, and I am aware of the STAR program that MB dealers use for diagnosing the cars. There are many versions of the STAR computer based program, with the applicable mulitiplexer box, available on the net, eBay, etc so we can have our own STAR setups at home.

I know I have seen two different Porsche dealer diagnostic setups mentioned on the internet. Are either of them commonly available as a ready to go package to owners without costing an arm and a leg? The MB STAR setups on the net commonly sell for about $750 including the computer it runs on and the multipex box. What is the best, most comprehensive setup available to us as owners, and where do we go to get one?

I found the Durametric setup, is that about as good as it gets? Have any of you used the iCarSoft for Porsche (assuming they have one)? I have one of them for M-B, and it's ok, not great.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

From a price point durametric is best for a hobbyiest. Also keep in mind that there are different durametric versions with different functionality available.

Concerning the 986 there are different OEM Porsche diacgnostic tools and also clones available.

Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2); based on a Bosch KTS-500, but has Porsche specific software. Doesn't support can bus. So only interesting for very early Boxsters.

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System (PIWIS); based on a Bosch KTS-650 but has Porsche specific software. Supports can bus.

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System 2 (PIWIS2)

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System 3 (PIWIS3), which is the latest version.

Concerning china PST and PIWIS clones: from my experince they often don't work well and installation of software can take time. Sometimes china clone hardware is just crap.

So it depends what you want to diagnose / or to program and how much money you want to spend.

If you only want to check DTCs and clear them i would say the smallest Durametric for 3 cars is a good choice.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-12-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
From a price point durametric is best for a hobbyiest. Also keep in mind that there are different durametric versions with different functionality available.

Concerning the 986 there are different OEM Porsche diacgnostic tools and also clones available.

Porsche System Tester 2 (PST2); based on a Bosch KTS-500, but has Porsche specific software. Doesn't support can bus. So only interesting for very early Boxsters.

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System (PIWIS); based on a Bosch KTS-650 but has Porsche specific software. Supports can bus.

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System 2 (PIWIS2)

Porsche Integrated Workshop Infomation System 3 (PIWIS3), which is the latest version.

Concerning china PST and PIWIS clones: from my experince they often don't work well and installation of software can take time. Sometimes china clone hardware is just crap.

So it depends what you want to diagnose / or to program and how much money you want to spend.

If you only want to check DTCs and clear them i would say the smallest Durametric for 3 cars is a good choice.

Regards, Markus
Thanks so much for the info, Markus. Again, please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, as this is my first Porsche. I'm more accustomed to the STAR system with M-B cars. Can Durametric only read and clear clear codes, or can it do things like calibrate fuel senders, deactivate airbags, etc. Can it go in and monitor systems that are not triggering codes, giving a status report, so to speak?
Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #4

Well, because i have a Xentry / Star DAS System with SD Connect Muxer and full devmode i can tell you that Durametric can't do a fraction of what the MB system can do. If you want to have something comparable you'll need to have an unlocked PIWIS system.

Durametric can read and clear Porsche codes. It can data log. When it comes to programming there is nothing like PIWIS.

Also functionality of Durametric depends on the car you connect to. And the 986 is not comparable to modern cars where you can modify, calibrate or configurate nearly everything. So in the end the question is what you really need and what you can afford. PIWIS systems are much more expensive compared to MB diagnostic systems – even clones.

Just check the Durametric website: Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #5

Thanks, Markus - I appreciate the info.

Doug