Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #1

What's the generally accepted best headlight clear coat?

For after headlight polishing.

lskolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Professional automotive clear coat applied by a paint shop.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Any opinion on Lamin-X for headlights?
I was thinking of applying some after polishing.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
2001 Boxster S

I'll let you know, just received my lamin-x covers.

We'll be doing it in the spring.
SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

I use a mix of products. To start, I apply the surface activator from Sylvania. I mention this because it was pretty amazing to see the ‘yellow’ melt away in the spray runoff. YMMV, but it worked for me.

Middle steps are the typical wet sanding, 600 through 5,000 grit starting by hand, then with small DA sander and hand touch up as required, then a final pass with the surface activator using a clean rag. Then a pass with a tack cloth immediately prior to final finishing.

Regarding the OP’s question, for final finishing I’ve had really good results with the SpayMax headlight system. It’s a 1k primer with a 2k (catalyst) top coat. You are supposed to use the primer followed by the top coat. Spray Max does not recommend using the 2k without the primer. Lens damage, bond promotion??? Who knows. I used both per the directions.

Make sure you have an appropriate, real deal paint respirator and ventilated work space. The 2k paint can be deadly.

Final result after polishing. The yellow-green tint on the projector lens in the pic below is just a reflection of our trees, The lense is perfectly clear. Note the ‘u’ shaped smudge on the inside of the lens. It’s discolored from heat I guess. Nothing can be done without taking the light apart. It’s not that noticeable in person.

Here’s a pic after the 2k coat, prior to final polishing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Those look great. How long did each side take?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Those look great. How long did each side take?
Hi Rex, Thanks. About 3 hours per side including drying time and final polishing. I took it slow and I wanted to be sure that all the original UV coating layer was off the lenses. A 3” DA sander is perfect for the job.

The best is to get both lenses through sanding, priming and drying, then mix the catalyst and do the final coat on both lenses one immediately after the other.

Here’s a pic after the final sanding, just before primer:

The primer goes on milky clear and dries to a clear satin mat finish. It’s in the process of drying here:

And here’s the lens with the primer completely dry:

There’s no sanding between the primer and 2k finish. After the primer dries, another quick pass with the tack cloth and you are on to applying the 2k top coat. Here’s a pic after the top coat, before final polishing:

I did have some minor orange peel (my fault) but the final polishing after 2k application took care of that.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-06-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Any opinion on Lamin-X for headlights?
I was thinking of applying some after polishing.
I've installed the Lamin-X covers on a Miata and Son's Tacoma, somewhat of a pain to install but once they are on you will be done messing with refinishing the headlights forever. An excellent product.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I've installed the Lamin-X covers on a Miata and Son's Tacoma, somewhat of a pain to install but once they are on you will be done messing with refinishing the headlights forever. An excellent product.
Agreed. A bit of a pain to put on but I have now installed them on 6 cars including the Box and Carrera. Once on properly they are virtually unnoticeable. They have the added benefit of rock protection beyond what a typical clear film has to offer due to them being thicker.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote