Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

Garage
Tint on PlexiGlass

Is it possible to tint the plexiglass? I haven't tinted windows because wondering if the rear plexiglass can get tinted.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

There is a spray on tint available at most parts stores, but it would be tough to get to stick when lowering and raising the top I would think. No chance any film would stay adhered at all for any length of time.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I believe Ciao is referring to the center wind screen. The rear window is vinyl.

You could have a piece of tinted plexiglass cut to replace the original. I've read bad things about tint film on plexi.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I believe Ciao is referring to the center wind screen. The rear window is vinyl.

You could have a piece of tinted plexiglass cut to replace the original. I've read bad things about tint film on plexi.
He mentioned tinting the other windows... either way, not really any great options other than the one you mentioned.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #5

I had a dark tinted center wind screen on mine once. I liked it because with the windows up and the top down, nobody could see me. Sometimes I feel like when I have the top down it's kind of like "Hey look at me!". Tinted all the way around gave me some privacy. The tinted screen also kind of looked cool. The down side was you could see through it during the day, but it was impossible to see anything at night. Way worse than tented windows. I eventually took it off because of that and I rarely drive at night. It was so bad that I felt the few times it was a hindrance out weighed the good.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:55 AM   #6

Garage
Hey guys, great discussion on both the plexiglass and vinyl. It seems there are no real solid solutions for either. I've seen convertible tops with the glass windows tinted, but not really an option for the vinyl and limited options for the plexiglass. We'll see if anyone else has had any success with emerging technologies.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

tbey sell tinted center plexiglass for the 986
i forget the company but they do make em.
I don't think lexan is suppose to be tinted with regular window tint
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Hey guys, great discussion on both the plexiglass and vinyl. It seems there are no real solid solutions for either. I've seen convertible tops with the glass windows tinted, but not really an option for the vinyl and limited options for the plexiglass. We'll see if anyone else has had any success with emerging technologies.
Go big and upgrade your top to a newer one with a glass rear window. Should tint just fine!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #9

Garage
Yes, I could go big with a new top w/glass, but I just had the rear vinyl window repaired and would like to use it for a while before spending ~ 1600.00 on a new top. I have other plans this year e.g. upgrade intake, factory stereo, exhaust, and maybe 18" wheels
Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #10

There is an upholstery shop near me that has tinted vinyl that they use on soft top jeeps . I was told they charge like 150 to take the clear out and sew the tinted vinyl in.
I had an 89 corvette convertible with the clear vinyl before, and got that cling tint from Lowes and put it on there and it actually worked pretty good. It's a lot thicker than normal tint so it can fold and bend no problem. Just a few options for you
tx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx02 View Post
There is an upholstery shop near me that has tinted vinyl that they use on soft top jeeps . I was told they charge like 150 to take the clear out and sew the tinted vinyl in.
I had an 89 corvette convertible with the clear vinyl before, and got that cling tint from Lowes and put it on there and it actually worked pretty good. It's a lot thicker than normal tint so it can fold and bend no problem. Just a few options for you
Cling tint from Lowes, tell me more, what aisle?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

It seemed like it was on the isle where they sell mini blinds and curtains. I actually did mine like real tint and used water sprayed on and squeegee it out. It was stuck on for sure then. It's way thicker than normal tint.
tx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx02 View Post
It seemed like it was on the isle where they sell mini blinds and curtains. I actually did mine like real tint and used water sprayed on and squeegee it out. It was stuck on for sure then. It's way thicker than normal tint.
Cheers for the info!
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Cheers for the info!
I purchased that roll from Lowe's a few weeks ago. Carefully measured... cut a template... trimmed here and there... concluding with a near perfect piece of squeegee-on-tint.

I couldn't pull the trigger. I'm talking about the trigger of the bottle of water I was holding... to spray under the tint... onto my precious vinyl window.

Recalling the stories I've read about the tint... the heat and sun of SoCal... I abandoned the notion choosing to wait instead for when the top needs replacement then opting for an actual glass top.

If you do install it please report back the condition of the vinyl after a few months.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #15

I think it is possible

I had my car being window tinted by a professional few weeks ago. I think you can try to ask them via email or contact them. For sure they will respond you for any inquiries. Try to ask them via website https://www.mastershieldprotection.com/contact or make a call - hope this can help you

ryan france is offline   Reply With Quote