Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

not positive gear change

Hi
my gear change is still not very positive. It does not centralise and changing from 5th to 4th is a bit, FEEL WHERE 4th IS .. Is it possible to lubricate the gear cables, even removing to do so. Or has anyone any other ideas. It is the only thing that spoils an otherwise great drive. Also the wife finds it a bit off putting , so does not drive it much, which is a shame as we got it for our mid life crisis's. Thanks

duncan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan11 View Post
Hi
my gear change is still not very positive. It does not centralise and changing from 5th to 4th is a bit, FEEL WHERE 4th IS .. Is it possible to lubricate the gear cables, even removing to do so. Or has anyone any other ideas. It is the only thing that spoils an otherwise great drive. Also the wife finds it a bit off putting , so does not drive it much, which is a shame as we got it for our mid life crisis's. Thanks
Hello Duncan,

Could you please explain the meaning of the sentence: "Also the wife finds it a bit off putting"

Please don't take me wrong as I am not making fun of you (English is my second language) I am just curious, thank you!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Pop off cable ends at gearbox, wire brush down, lithium grease or similar then reassemble. That's as much as you can do. If it's not good enough then new cables.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello Duncan,

Could you please explain the meaning of the sentence: "Also the wife finds it a bit off putting"

Please don't take me wrong as I am not making fun of you (English is my second language) I am just curious, thank you!
She is nervous about putting it in the wrong gear.
duncan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Do you have a six speed, or 5? Sounds like a five. Could be the shifter is worn out. The bushings and mechanism can get worn out and have a lot of play. I agree with the suggestion lubing your cables, But check the slop in your shifter. It shouldn't have much at all.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote