986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tire /Rim size (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70819)

eomak 01-27-2018 01:11 PM

Tire /Rim size

Hello. Have a question if anyone has seen or done themselves on these cars.. for the rear's.I have a 19 inch wheels on my car now with 18mm spacers in the rear. The wheel/tire fit/clear everything even without spacers in the rear. My size right now is 275/35/19 10's.. I am trying to go for that wheel look that fills the whole area giving it a really mean aggressive looking stance. I am not looking for track performance driving or ride quality.And my fenders are rolled.Looking for just crusing around town and some local car shows. I am looking at same rear wheel but in a 20inch 10.5 rim. And the tire size is a bit pricey.They would be 285/25/20. so it'll 19's in front and 20's in rear. I think with the 20 and lower profile 25 side tire..over the 19 /35 it should be very similar in height? as to what i have on now?/maybe just a little more of the tire going up into the fender whell .no? thanks if any info.

911monty 01-27-2018 01:14 PM

Your ABS system may not like this if you don't keep the rolling diameter the same.

The Radium King 01-27-2018 01:44 PM

i think what abs wants is max *i think* 4% difference between front and rear.

eomak 01-27-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 561243)
i think what abs wants is max *i think* 4% difference between front and rear.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1517093788.jpg
hiya.. I still have your top... with some upgrades!!

The Radium King 01-27-2018 04:23 PM

dude, that is a lot of good-looking wheel!

Oldcarguy 01-28-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomak (Post 561244)
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1517093788.jpg
hiya.. I still have your top... with some upgrades!!

Hi Eomak, are those real TechArt side skirts or copies? Yours are the best TA fitment I’ve seen.

I bought a set of fiberglass copies from eBay and the test fit is not bad. Really considering installing them this spring. Was planning on keeping my SE totally stock but I really like the way the TA skirts clean up the rocker panel look without a lot of swoops and contours. I like the Caractere skirts also (kind of retro 964), but not for $725 per side unpainted.

I’ve decided to keep the SE for the long term, so I’m not so worried about keeping it pure stock for resale. It’s a driver, not a garage queen. I do plan to only make mods that can be reversed back to stock without too much grief.

Anyway, any source/fitment info you can give me is appreciated. Sorry for the thread hijack!

eomak 01-28-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcarguy (Post 561301)
Hi Eomak, are those real TechArt side skirts or copies? Yours are the best TA fitment I’ve seen.

I bought a set of fiberglass copies from eBay and the test fit is not bad. Really considering installing them this spring. Was planning on keeping my SE totally stock but I really like the way the TA skirts clean up the rocker panel look without a lot of swoops and contours. I like the Caractere skirts also (kind of retro 964), but not for $725 per side unpainted.

I’ve decided to keep the SE for the long term, so I’m not so worried about keeping it pure stock for resale. It’s a driver, not a garage queen. I do plan to only make mods that can be reversed back to stock without too much grief.

Anyway, any source/fitment info you can give me is appreciated. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Hi,Yes they are the TechArt. I bought them used off ebay..came of a crashed boxster..they needed a little TLC before repaint.. but yea they fit like a glove .. not sure because they where already fitted on a boxster before.. I did install them not like everyone else has installed side skirts.which is I followed that body line that's just under the door oem rocker panel.I think gives a factory look. Every other rocker panel ive seen install they install it under that line/groove so its noticeable..even on 911's... But it does lower the rocker panel closer to the ground if your looking for that look.

eomak 01-28-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcarguy (Post 561301)

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1517175473.jpg

BRAN 01-28-2018 01:11 PM

Nice ride, eomak.
The 19" look good...20" on the rear might be a little bit too much...but the RS look might even work, try it!

I am pretty sure that the side skirts are color matched. In the photo the silver looks slightly different. All in all a cool car!

Oldcarguy 01-28-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomak (Post 561340)
. . . I did install them not like everyone else has installed side skirts.which is I followed that body line that's just under the door oem rocker panel.I think gives a factory look. Every other rocker panel ive seen install they install it under that line/groove so its noticeable..even on 911's....

Exactly! I want to disappear the groove also. When I did the test fit I was able to get good fitment just like you did (top of TA rocker panel at the edge of the lower door sill fold, following the curve up of the sill fold at the rear of the door). This fitment gave me perfect alignment/contact at the weld fold at the bottom of the factory rocker panel also. It seems the TAs are one of the few designed to fit this way. Also the flare up at the rear of the TAs lead well into the rear bumper cover contours. A very clean look IMHO. I’m going to give them a shot this spring.

Thanks for the info!