986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pelican Parts , U.K. buyers beware ! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70689)

zanzibar986 01-15-2018 12:43 PM

Pelican Parts , U.K. buyers beware !

:eek: Ordered a spin on oil filter conversion , great service , fast delivery , until today when i got shafted $50.00 by the U.K tax man , got the usual stuff from the supplier "it's in the small print", nothing we can do blah blah . So U.K buyers be warned , those "bargain" prices may not be such a bargain after all :(

NewArt 01-15-2018 01:12 PM

In all fairness, it’s not the fault of Pelican. In Canada, we’ in the same situation. Anything imported from the US gets dinged with duty, brokerage and taxes, plus the exchange offered by Paypal or credit card is never that favourable!

zanzibar986 01-15-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 560240)
In all fairness, it’s not the fault of Pelican. In Canada, we’ in the same situation. Anything imported from the US gets dinged with duty, brokerage and taxes, plus the exchange offered by Paypal or credit card is never that favourable!

Maybe they could have been a bit more open about the tax situation and not hide it in the small print ?

The Radium King 01-15-2018 01:34 PM

totally what newart said; pelican can't be expected to know the sales tax/import tax/duty/etc for every country in the world. and if they did, and included it in the price, there is no easy mechanism for them to remit to the country in question. that's why it is charged at the border upon import, long after it has left pelican's hands.

what i hate is fed ex. you pay a big courier fee for international shipping, then you get with duty when it crosses the border, and THEN fed ex sends you a separate, seemingly arbitrary, invoice for brokerage fees.

but yeah, nothing is free; imported items in the UK are more expensive because they are including the import duties in the price, as well as any sales taxes, etc. and realise that they probably purchased in bulk, so saw better shipping rates than you would buying an individual item. and then there is the currency exchange game - what was the value of the $ when they purchased their items, vs now when you are looking to purchase. think it's expensive now? wait until the trade wars start and duty on luxury goods goes through the ruf.

zanzibar986 01-15-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 560242)
totally what newart said; pelican can't be expected to know the sales tax/import tax/duty/etc for every country in the world. and if they did, and included it in the price, there is no easy mechanism for them to remit to the country in question. that's why it is charged at the border upon import, long after it has left pelican's hands.

what i hate is fed ex. you pay a big courier fee for international shipping, then you get with duty when it crosses the border, and THEN fed ex sends you a separate, seemingly arbitrary, invoice for brokerage fees.

but yeah, nothing is free; imported items in the UK are more expensive because they are including the import duties in the price, as well as any sales taxes, etc. and realise that they probably purchased in bulk, so saw better shipping rates than you would buying an individual item. and then there is the currency exchange game - what was the value of the $ when they purchased their items, vs now when you are looking to purchase. think it's expensive now? wait until the trade wars start and duty on luxury goods goes through the ruf.

:mad: Don't get me started on FedEx , i had a very "interesting" conversation with them today :mad:

kirkandorules 01-15-2018 02:00 PM

dump some tea into the harbor, it worked for us

thstone 01-15-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkandorules (Post 560244)

I could not stop laughing! :D

boxfix 01-15-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

love it!!!!

edc 01-16-2018 01:22 AM

You can buy it already in the UK so you don't have to run the gauntlet of imported parts.

zanzibar986 01-16-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

:cheers: If only it was that easy !

BoxsterSteve 01-16-2018 03:51 AM

Quote:

Great.
Laughed so hard coffee came out my nose.
Cleanup, aisle 1!

Found that out the hard way myself.
Anytime you buy out of country it’s likely you’ll get banged with duties and import tariffs. It’ll always piss you off, but next time you will know it’s coming.
Caveat emptor.

azlvr 01-16-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

That was done to protest a special tax cut for the worlds largest corporation, the East India Trading Company.

p3230 01-16-2018 06:51 AM

I refuse to buy from the US suppliers unless they use USPS, if they say no I don't buy as I got the shaft also from courier companies. At least USPS rarely charge broker fees and our beloved HST.

Jager 01-16-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanzibar986 (Post 560274)
:cheers: If only it was that easy !

The secret is to dump the good stuff, like this tea:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-most-expensive-cup-tea-4294292