Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 AM   #1

Flat battery issue

Flat battery saga
As a new be to Porsche ownership I was unaware of the battery going flat when not used. On return from holiday, guess what? Flat battery! Having consulted the manual, I attempted to release the bonnet using an external power supply connected to the terminal inside the fuse box. The bonnet refused to unlock as did the boot. I charged the battery via the cigarette lighter socket and managed to start the car which now runs perfectly. Unfortunately the following things don't work: front and rear boots do not unlock roof doesn't unlock: heater blower fails to operate: central locking operates via the switch on the dash panel but not on the remote. Any suggestions?

PSW171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

There is lots in search about this.
The best precautions are:
1. know where the funk release wire is. Extend it(Search)
2.fit an externally accessible charging point
3.Figure out how to charge the battery using the power socket inside
4. Understand what causes the battery drain. lots of things like having the top insecure and/or the doors not locked. It is a long list
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSW171 View Post
Flat battery saga
As a new be to Porsche ownership I was unaware of the battery going flat when not used. On return from holiday, guess what? Flat battery! Having consulted the manual, I attempted to release the bonnet using an external power supply connected to the terminal inside the fuse box. The bonnet refused to unlock as did the boot. I charged the battery via the cigarette lighter socket and managed to start the car which now runs perfectly. Unfortunately the following things don't work: front and rear boots do not unlock roof doesn't unlock: heater blower fails to operate: central locking operates via the switch on the dash panel but not on the remote. Any suggestions?
Well, first thing first, check all of your fuses, you could have cooked one or two doing the stuff that you did. Most of the things you mentioned require battery power and starting the engine zapps a pretty good amount. It’s possible your alternator isn’t producing proper voltage and not charging the battery, you could also have a ground issue. As mentioned, there is a cable to manually open the frunk (bonnet), you most likely need to replace the battery. The battery shouldn’t go completely flat very quickly unless it isn’t charging properly, or has a dead cell. Either way, time to run some tests.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Either way, time to run some tests.
Agreed. Battery needs load tested, alternator tested for output, and also car electrics tested to determine if there is a parasitic draw.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the comments so far.

Does my UK model boxster have a cable release for the front boot under the right hand side wing?
I have looked and one does not seem evident.
PSW171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

Yes,but the first time you will need to remove a large number of the wheel arch liner retainers to find the end of the wire.See Search for more- same as a 996.
see Search for details on relocating it into the tow-eye cover for easier access.
There is a U.K. Boxster forum Boxanet or similar-google.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

Some hints here...

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote