Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Koni FSD now what springs?

Just ordered some Koni FSD shocks for my 2001 986 S. I want to close the wheel gap slightly. I will be doing new strut mounts, etc while I'm there. I was thinking about H&R sport springs for a 1" drop but not sure. The car is my nice day toy. What do you guys think as far as springs. Another note will I be able to get the alignment in spec with 1" lower?

marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

M030 springs would be as low as I would want to go with the FSDs. That being said Eibach pro springs might be ok. Even with just M030 I’m looking for adjustable rear toe arms to get a better street alignment. Also I find the M030 spring rate might be a bit high for the FSDs but I don’t have a huge amount of time on the combination so take my comments with a grain of salt.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

I thought the Eibach springs were 1.5" to 2" vs. The H&R sports at 1". What are the oem porsche sport springs? I think 1" is max I would go. I need to see what springs would match well with the FED's. Maybe I will contact Koni.

Last edited by marcoc; 12-31-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
... What are the oem porsche sport springs? I think 1" is max I would go. .... Maybe I will contact Koni.
From the tables I've seen the ROW M030 springs should lower 20mm front 10mm back.

I know they have paired other FSDs with Eibach ProKit springs but each application is different so best check with them. Ask them what they think about the ROW M030 pairing. I'm curios to hear what they have to say.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:41 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I junked my M030 and have paired the FSD with some "M030" spec H&R springs. These were marketed here as -10mm but my car sits as low as it did before on 118k mile M030 (UK spec). Their progressive nature seems to suit the FSD quite well.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:35 AM   #6

I read somewhere the someone had FSD shocks paired with M030 springs and it was a bit to "soft". Another owner, although it was a 993 paired the FSD with H&R which he said it now drive like a "sporting" porsche car. Not sure what to do
Old 01-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #7

Worried I should of did a basic kit like Bilstein paired with the H&R sports set at 1" lower than stock. I like a firm ride but worry the FSD will be soft for the H&R sports if I go that route and ruin the boxster s ride.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If you just wanted a straight forward kit then the M030 would have done the job. I've had manual and tip M030 on my manual Boxster and now the FSD/H&R combo. This is the best yet. If you want a track focussed car then you need to rethink your suspension but for fast road and occasional trackday all of the above will be good.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If you just wanted a straight forward kit then the M030 would have done the job. I've had manual and tip M030 on my manual Boxster and now the FSD/H&R combo. This is the best yet. If you want a track focussed car then you need to rethink your suspension but for fast road and occasional trackday all of the above will be good.
How do you you like the FSD/H&R combo? I think I'm going that route. Its a very modest drop of 1" which is all I want. My 986 is on jackstands in my garage for refinishing of the calipers, might as well install the suspension
Old 01-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
How do you you like the FSD/H&R combo? I think I'm going that route. Its a very modest drop of 1" which is all I want. My 986 is on jackstands in my garage for refinishing of the calipers, might as well install the suspension
I think the M030 kit is a little overpriced. I got the FSD struts on sale, $800. 😀
Old 01-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
With the M030 you get the anti roll bars too so even though the price is higher than it used to be it's still a good value package.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/?page=19

I haven't yet covered the same sort of miles on the FSD compared to my other set ups but overall impression is very positive. The damping is better. It seems to mean the tyre is in contact with the road more as you get more feedback. This may or may not be a good thing depending on your driving style. I don't lap time the car but I would be surprised if it was significantly or any faster than an M030 car. It's as firm or firmer when you need it to be but the primary ride is better due to the FSD valving and progressive spring.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
With the M030 you get the anti roll bars too so even though the price is higher than it used to be it's still a good value package.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/?page=19

I haven't yet covered the same sort of miles on the FSD compared to my other set ups but overall impression is very positive. The damping is better. It seems to mean the tyre is in contact with the road more as you get more feedback. This may or may not be a good thing depending on your driving style. I don't lap time the car but I would be surprised if it was significantly or any faster than an M030 car. It's as firm or firmer when you need it to be but the primary ride is better due to the FSD valving and progressive spring.
True as far as sway bars, forgot about that. So your FSD's are paired with the H&R springs and no negative impact on handling from what it sounds like. Would you say the 1" claimed lowering was accurate? By the way thanks for your input.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

I've had my Koni FSD + M030 suspension for 15 months and around 13,000 miles, mostly highway driving to/from tracks, and then the track driving.

It is very comfortable, soft is a good word, but much better than the previous worn out struts, which were very floaty if that makes sense.

On track, the car is soft yet firm if that makes sense, it doesn't flop around, but is not bone jarring, for example sebring it soaks up all the bumps.

For a street car, sporty driving, or a beginning to intermediate HPDE car I think it is a great fit. If I were to ever get another street boxster I would get the FSD again when it came time to get new struts.

For my current car, I am down to within 3 seconds of the pro driver that drove my car at Roebling (down from 6) and while I may never get all 3 seconds, I definitely haven't outgrown the suspension, it is not holding me back and I have no plans to move to a more advanced system anytime soon.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've had my Koni FSD + M030 suspension for 15 months and around 13,000 miles, mostly highway driving to/from tracks, and then the track driving.

It is very comfortable, soft is a good word, but much better than the previous worn out struts, which were very floaty if that makes sense.

On track, the car is soft yet firm if that makes sense, it doesn't flop around, but is not bone jarring, for example sebring it soaks up all the bumps.

For a street car, sporty driving, or a beginning to intermediate HPDE car I think it is a great fit. If I were to ever get another street boxster I would get the FSD again when it came time to get new struts.

For my current car, I am down to within 3 seconds of the pro driver that drove my car at Roebling (down from 6) and while I may never get all 3 seconds, I definitely haven't outgrown the suspension, it is not holding me back and I have no plans to move to a more advanced system anytime soon.
Good to hear, sounds like I made a good choice for my street driven with occasional aggressive back roads Boxster. Lets see how the H&R springs match up