Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #1

Boxter with PDK gearbox

I am new to this forum and also new to owning a Boxter. I have recently bought a 2010 Boxter PDK with 65K Kms on the clock. I just love driving this car and the transmission is fantastic. When I move the gearshift from Drive to Park it makes a definite clunk sound when it goes into Park. Can anyone please tell me if this is normal.

AndriesCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

New to auto trans too? When you put it in park, you are asking that a pawl be moved into a spline in the trans to lock the transmission. When you stop, use the parking brake with your foot still on the brake pedal. Once the car is held solidly by the brakes, then shift into park. Then turn it off. This is especially important if you are on any sort of hill. You don't want the weight of the car to be on the pawl because it may create too much force to overcome when trying to retract it into the no-park mode.

The noise is probably the actuator moving the pawl into the lock position.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 AM   #3

Thanks for your input MikeFocke

AndriesCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote