986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Totaled my 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70502)

gtoger 12-28-2017 03:37 PM

Totaled my 986

Or more accurately, my wife's. The day after having $3100 worth of work done, I hit a curb and spun the car. Due to rocker panel and rear quarter panel damage it was more costly to repair than it's worth .

Not really sure what is next. I cleaned out the car, pulled out the new mats, wind deflector, aftermarket taillights and the converted projector headlights. Unfortunately will have to leave the replacement top with glass window and the performance exhaust and "anti-drone" inserts.

Ugh. So bummed. Wonder if we can find a super clean later model car for appropriate money. Otherwise I guess I will have to put some parts up for sale.

I got what I paid for the car (minus the upgrades and of course the clutch) from the insurance company and I've had it 3 great years. Can't be mad about that. Mad at myself.

Totally venting here. But if you know of a mint 2004 Boxster S for $9,999, please let your hapless buddy know! :)

jccash 12-28-2017 03:44 PM

Wow, sorry to read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikefocke 12-28-2017 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear another one bite the dust. Been there, done that. My fault too.

Ciao 12-28-2017 04:56 PM

A very unfortunate incident. What kind of aftermarket tail lights will they fit a 2001 S and how much?

rp17 12-28-2017 05:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your car. Give yourself sometime and pickup another while the weather is cold.. Best time to buy.. But wait, anti drone inserts?

aviorperformance 12-28-2017 06:17 PM

Sorry to be off topic but can you post some pics of the car? The LED DRL in the bumper look nice. Going based on pic in avatar.

dghii 12-28-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtoger (Post 558783)
Or more accurately, my wife's. The day after having $3100 worth of work done, I hit a curb and spun the car. Due to rocker panel and rear quarter panel damage it was more costly to repair than it's worth .

Not really sure what is next. I cleaned out the car, pulled out the new mats, wind deflector, aftermarket taillights and the converted projector headlights. Unfortunately will have to leave the replacement top with glass window and the performance exhaust and "anti-drone" inserts.

Ugh. So bummed. Wonder if we can find a super clean later model car for appropriate money. Otherwise I guess I will have to put some parts up for sale.

I got what I paid for the car (minus the upgrades and of course the clutch) from the insurance company and I've had it 3 great years. Can't be mad about that. Mad at myself.

Totally venting here. But if you know of a mint 2004 Boxster S for $9,999, please let your hapless buddy know! :)

Sorry Dude....at least you're ok.

Look in classifieds for Timco's 2004 SE. Its got 142K miles but well cared for and documented....he's asking $10K.

Geof3 12-28-2017 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear... Unfortunately it doesn't take mush to total them $$ wise. Maybe its time for a track car!

thstone 12-28-2017 08:46 PM

I am also sorry to hear of this. With the high price of repair parts and labor, it doesn't take much damage to total a $10K car these days.

A quick search on eBay located this 2005 S with only 85K miles for $13K. Looks to be in very nice shape and has a couple of nice options like litronics and Bose sound. Car is local to you in Argyle, TX which is just outside Dallas. If it doesn't sell on eBay, you might want to track it down and make an offer for less than the eBay asking price to see if the seller wants to make a deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Porsche-Boxster-S/112705769282?hash=item1a3dc98f42:g:NckAAOSwbtNaG0e o&vxp=mtr

gtoger 12-29-2017 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviorperformance (Post 558792)
Sorry to be off topic but can you post some pics of the car? The LED DRL in the bumper look nice. Going based on pic in avatar.

Thanks. Yes, it was a good looking car, and those DRL's were great. The car also had nice DRL's using CFL in the converted headlights that Particlewave did.

gtoger 12-29-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 558789)
But wait, anti drone inserts?

If you get one of those inexpensive performance exhausts, they'll tend to drone quite a bit. We put in a Car Chemistry 2-disc insert that took care of 95% of it. Enough so that my wife enjoyed driving the car with the top up again.

gtoger 12-29-2017 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 558788)
What kind of aftermarket tail lights will they fit a 2001 S and how much?

They're the DEPO smoked style like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/192284081403?chn=ps

Yes, they'll fit your 2001.

I don't know how much yet. It's too soon. I'm not going to fire-sale the parts just yet in case I get another 986 that they'd be good on.

That said, they look fantastic. As do the Particlewave-modded projector beam DRLs. Some of the best money I ever spent on that car.

gtoger 01-09-2018 06:27 PM

UPDATE. We found a replacement car. I will be posting more about that shortly, but it's a bit of an upgrade, and I'll have some stuff from the old car posted up for sale soon.