986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Winter Storage Blues (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70485)

BusterB 12-26-2017 04:53 PM

Winter Storage Blues

2 days ago I washed and dried the car. I took the long way to a couple of last minute errands then pulled into the garage for winter storage. After wiping it down and vacuuming one last time, I plugged in the battery maintainer and tucked it in with a cozy cover. Not sure how all of you cope but I'm already missing the upcoming opportunities to drive. Trying to keep this sweet ride in mint condition as it is a 2002 S with only 31K and the winter conditions with all of the salt on the roads has taken its toll on other vehicles I've owned. Wondering...What's the best medicine for these winter blues?

thstone 12-27-2017 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Go for a weekly sporting drive indoors...

newcider 12-27-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 558705)
Go for a weekly sporting drive indoors...

Great Idea!

kk2002s 12-27-2017 10:12 AM

Got a better idea, drive your car. It's not a million dollar classic, it's a 2002 boxster. What exactly are you saving it for? After a nice winter salt ride, I try and take my 2002 S to a DIY pressure wash car wash and wash the salt off until the next winter drive. These cars come with a heater

Starter986 12-27-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 558713)
Got a better idea, drive your car. It's not a million dollar classic, it's a 2002 boxster. What exactly are you saving it for? After a nice winter salt ride, I try and take my 2002 S to a DIY pressure wash car wash and wash the salt off until the next winter drive. These cars come with a heater

Found this on another post.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1514405624.jpg

Oldcarguy 12-27-2017 12:35 PM

Whheee! Some misc winter pics from the web.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4a9b649402.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...529f96b83c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8759200bc8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6a1d86feb8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dghii 12-27-2017 06:00 PM

Although I can use my car year around, I get it!

My older brother lives in south Florida, loves cars but has a tough time enjoying driving his two pride and joy corvettes. The cars are immaculate, covered, garage kept and low mileage. His enjoyment comes from the the cars looking like they just came out of the showroom.

To each his own!

Boxstard 12-27-2017 08:00 PM

I'm committed to daily driving year around, just scored a set of 17" wheels on eBay and ordered new snow tires. Driving on icy road is kinda fun in a different way, controlling the car sensing its limit without going really fast...

kirkandorules 12-27-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 558745)
corvettes

immaculate, covered, garage kept and low mileage

sounds about right ;)

It's funny, when I bought my 986, a C4 Corvette was one of the other cars I was considering. One of the things I had researched was winter capability...on the Corvette forums, everyone pretty much said "you're an idiot if you drive in the winter." On the Porsche forums, the consensus was more along the lines of "get some snow tires and drive, do donuts in the parking lot, it'll be awesome!" I suspect the Corvette would have been totally fine, but I found the difference in attitudes pretty amusing.

Bootlegger 12-28-2017 03:38 AM

Buy a snowmobile.... The cure for the winter speed itch at 10 inches off the ground with zero visibility and no depth perception.

Ciao 12-28-2017 06:05 AM

I owned a VW Beetle as an Air Force member and drove from Spain to Germany during the winter and while stationed in Germany, I drove it year round to Netherlands and all around Germany with no issues in the Winter. Rear/mid-engine cars make winter driving a non-issue

boxfix 12-28-2017 02:07 PM

WINTER storage in MD???

to each his own. I lived in Quebec for a few years and drove my 2002 Tii all winter with snow tires.

I don't have winter anymore here but I love to put miles on my Boxster and 911.

I remember reading a story in the Santa Barbara PCA mag about a Sunday drive/rally.......it rained in Southern Ca and everyone was upset that their Porsches got wet and dirty!!1

Twin headlight Ernie 12-29-2017 07:15 AM

winter

I have a new to me Subaru that is as fun in the winter as the 986S is in the summer.
It pulls better in the snow than some cars do on pavement. It's fun to blow the doors off the 4x4 trucks at the stoplights. I drove a Jeep CJ5 for 24 years that was a blast to drive in the deep snow. It was really tough to get stuck and had a 5.0 V8 for lots of torque.

stephen wilson 12-30-2017 06:06 AM

I drove my 987 in 19° weather yesterday... my 5-speed did not like it until it warmed up ! Very notchy, and the tires were flat-spotted. I have a truck for winter, but I never actually put the Boxster away. I just try and avoid salty roads and snow, I don't have winter tires.

Porsche9 12-30-2017 08:02 AM

Move either permanently or for the winter to somewhere with nice driving weather. We have 70 plus degrees day in the forecast for the next 10 days.

Oldcarguy 12-30-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 558877)
Move either permanently or for the winter to somewhere with nice driving weather. We have 70 plus degrees day in the forecast for the next 10 days.

Chandler has great winter driving weather. We were there for a week in feb 2015. But the summers are too hot for me (114+ last July?) :eek:

stephen wilson 12-30-2017 11:11 AM

Eh, I actually like having 4 seasons, to quote Eddie Murphy: " If every day is a sunny day, what's a sunny day ? ". Any body know which movie ?

Porsche9 12-30-2017 12:35 PM

Seasons are nice. I jokingly say we just got rid of the season that sucks, winter. Fun to play in but every time I had to work and deal with it was, for me, it was terrible. But I’m spoiled having always lived where there is no real winter but close enough that it’s a short drive away. People live in different parts of the world with all kinds of weather and other pluses and minus.

Driving in the snow with a Boxster or a Carrera sounds actually like huge fun. I have to try it one day.

Porsche9 12-30-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcarguy (Post 558880)
Chandler has great winter driving weather. We were there for a week in feb 2015. But the summers are too hot for me (114+ last July?) :eek:

114 isn’t bad. Hottest day I’ve experience is 125 in Death Valley and coldest in Winnipeg of -25. We head north in summer. Plenty of cheap real estate and gorgeous scenery. Lots of great driving roads and not much traffic.

Boxstard 12-30-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 558898)
Seasons are nice. I jokingly say we just got rid of the season that sucks, winter. Fun to play in but every time I had to work and deal with it was, for me, it was terrible. But I’m spoiled having always lived where there is no real winter but close enough that it’s a short drive away. People live in different parts of the world with all kinds of weather and other pluses and minus.

Driving in the snow with a Boxster or a Carrera sounds actually like huge fun. I have to try it one day.

Just got my Boxster (myself) a Xmas present of a set of winter tires (Yokohama w.drive V905) on 17" wheels, mounted this evening and hit the road.

Wow, what a difference from Michelin PSAS3 tires... that struggled just getting up my slightly inclined driveway with 0.5in snow. At 5 deg F the snow tires feel cushy yet tight, and gobs of traction in snow and slush, that I can confidently push the car and still keep things under control. It makes driving unplowed backroad like a little rally!

Yes, it's huge fun, and no more fear... let it snow!