Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Yellow986S

Transmission and shifting problems!!

I went for a joyride today and the car was driving fine and when I pulled to a stop sign and tried to put the shifter into first gear it would not engage into the gear. The shifter felt all sloppy and you could not feel the engagement of any of the top gears (Reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear are all not working.) I had to sit at the stop sign for a minute or two before I was able to get the gear to engage. I drove the car home 2 miles like this. Do you think I could have caused any damage? Reverse gear doesnt work at all and the shifter pops out when I try to move backwards. I have no idea what this could be other than something wrong with the transmission? I just recently put a new clutch in 1,000 miles ago, so I dont think its the clutch. The engine also still felt fine and there was no clutch slipping.

I am so bummed out. I was planning to go track the car in 2 weeks. I got new tires and everything ughh!
BTW it is a 6 speed from a 2000 boxster S

If anyone knows what this might be could you please let me know. Thank you

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pull the shifter boot and check the linkages. I'd bet one either broke or has slack.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #3

It is very common for the shifter cables to pop out of the bracket at the transmission end. It is fairly easy to see them under the rear of the car on the right side of the transmission. A lot of guys who have had them come out put a zip tie around them to keep them from coming off. Take a look under the car and see if this is what has happened.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 07-15-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

The end of the linkage, no 17 can brake, tie back on with a zip tie, or pay $200.00 for a new one.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #5

Isn't it great to have all this knowledge just an email away.

Probably saved folks hundreds of thousands of dollars already for the DIY crowd.

You should be back online in no time and ready for your race weekend.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Yellow986S

Thanks guys for your help. I will lift the car up tomorrow and see if that is the problem. If the cables are the problem I should be able to have the car ready for the track day!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Yellow986S

Hey guys, jacked up the car today and fixed the problem. The linkage popped out of place and I had to put it back in. I did not use a zip tie because I didn't see anyway that it would help. If a zip tie would help how would I put it? The problem was the #12 linkage in the diagram. Thanks guys for the help
Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

I had the same problem at #12. You just take the zip tie and put it around the bracket and the cable to hold it in place and rank down on it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
Hey guys, jacked up the car today and fixed the problem. The linkage popped out of place and I had to put it back in. I did not use a zip tie because I didn't see anyway that it would help. If a zip tie would help how would I put it? The problem was the #12 linkage in the diagram. Thanks guys for the help

This diagram is for a 5-speed, 6-speed is different design.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #10

I broke one of the LITTLE arm-lock pieces at NO. 12 on the cable so I ground up a replacement (since I lost the original ) with a angle grinder and file and crazy glued it in place and zip tied it to' boot.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
I went for a joyride today and the car was driving fine and when I pulled to a stop sign and tried to put the shifter into first gear it would not engage into the gear. The shifter felt all sloppy and you could not feel the engagement of any of the top gears (Reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear are all not working.) I had to sit at the stop sign for a minute or two before I was able to get the gear to engage. I drove the car home 2 miles like this. Do you think I could have caused any damage? Reverse gear doesnt work at all and the shifter pops out when I try to move backwards. I have no idea what this could be other than something wrong with the transmission? I just recently put a new clutch in 1,000 miles ago, so I dont think its the clutch. The engine also still felt fine and there was no clutch slipping.

I am so bummed out. I was planning to go track the car in 2 weeks. I got new tires and everything ughh!
BTW it is a 6 speed from a 2000 boxster S

If anyone knows what this might be could you please let me know. Thank you
Hi Yellow986S
I know this question of yours is from back in 2013 but i just had similar problem on my 2001
boxster , out of nowhere shifter became flimsy and just able to do 3rd and 4th , reverse ok.
i ws wondering if you were able to figure it out. I'm going to try to drive to mechanic in a week from
now he's a porsche guy. anyway take care
xkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
Check the cables at the trans shiftier levers.
I had a similar problem and the cable housing was loose from the clamp.
A wire tie was a temp fix and then a screw clamp made it more permanent.
No problems since the fix.

It was not a problem with the retaining clip on the cable
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #13

Garage
I just want to echo the exact same as JayG

Same problem, same fix.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote