Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Engine Sensors

I am a bit confused concerning the sensors on the engine of my 99 Boxster.

Looking at page 107 of my "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" I see that there are three (3) sensors that I need to be concerned about. My Boxster, after replacing the spark plugs and coils, still starts yet continues to backfire and begins to die once I depress the accelerator pedal.
I may be wrong but I think that it would not even start if the Crankshaft sensor was bad, so I am thinking it is one of the Camshaft position sensors. I've had the Crankshaft sensor replaced well over 100,000 miles ago.
Dempsey's book addresses the two Camshaft Position sensors, the Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid and a Crank Angle sensor.

I've found the Crankshaft sensor and the Camshaft Position sensors on Pelican Parts website, but I cannot find this Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid.

What am I missing?

I know I need to read the codes, so I just ordered the Actron 9125 scanner.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks
MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
When you say you cannot find the solenoid, you mean you cannot find the part on the website, or you cannot find it in the car?
https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+boxster+camshaft+solonoid&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&dlnr=1&sei=oNggWtSBKunGjwScw5KoAw#dlnr=1&imgrc=yCmgAsH2XAn01M:

Part for cylinders 4-6
Part for cylinder 1-3

Last edited by Meir; 11-30-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

I would get a Durametric from our hosts

Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche DURAENTH2 - DURA-ENTH-2 | Pelican Parts

great value for $287......it will do so much more than generic OBD 2 scanner.

You can check the rediness monitors and program many things on the Boxster ECU.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

Meir,

I mean I could not find the solenoid on the Pelican Parts website.

MNC-I
Old 11-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

Meir,

Thanks for the link.

With my luck I will need that fairly expensive little part.

MNC-I
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
You can check the rediness monitors and program many things on the Boxster ECU.
The Durametric can't do any programming.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
1999 base

Garage
if i'm not mistaken, you can remove the solenoid from the car and inspect it on the bench, using a 12V power supply.
a bad solenoid will not affect idle or startup unless it is stuck in its extended position.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Let's start with the symptom and ask for a diagnosis ? Throwing sensors at it probably won't help .
Symptom is : When you depress the throttle pedal the engine backfires and then stalls ?
Other symptoms are: ??? CEL Fault codes?
Diagnosis:
How do you know you connected the correct coil terminals to each coil? Did you mark them? Check that first before moving on to other issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
I am a bit confused concerning the sensors on the engine of my 99 Boxster.

Looking at page 107 of my "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" I see that there are three (3) sensors that I need to be concerned about. My Boxster, after replacing the spark plugs and coils, still starts yet continues to backfire and begins to die once I depress the accelerator pedal.
I may be wrong but I think that it would not even start if the Crankshaft sensor was bad, so I am thinking it is one of the Camshaft position sensors. I've had the Crankshaft sensor replaced well over 100,000 miles ago.
Dempsey's book addresses the two Camshaft Position sensors, the Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid and a Crank Angle sensor.

I've found the Crankshaft sensor and the Camshaft Position sensors on Pelican Parts website, but I cannot find this Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid.

What am I missing?

I know I need to read the codes, so I just ordered the Actron 9125 scanner.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks
MNC-I
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #9

I'm back like a bad penny.

My Actron CP9125 came in today and I have seven (7) fault codes.
These are the codes: P0455, P1411, P0410, P1126, P1124, P0154 pending, P0134 pending.
I've had the some of these codes for a long while (those codes dealing with the gas vapor canister). According to my mechanic, I need a Shut Off Valve and a Purge Valve. Estimated cost is $1,600. I don't live in the People's Republic of Austin/Travis County so I can live with not fixing the gasoline evaporative system.

I've looked up all the codes in my Bentley manual and cannot figure out what I need to fix my problem (engine starts, but backfires, idles very roughly and will not drive down the street without dying on me [it is a Tiptronic]. I also personally changed out the two pre-Cat 02 sensors at 295,145 miles.

All of this rough idle and backfires took place before I changed the plugs and coils. I changed them thinking that would solve my problem.

What are your thoughts before I tow my 99 Boxster to the mechanic?
Thanks
MNC-I
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

"How do you know you connected the correct coil terminals to each coil? Did you mark them? Check that first before moving on to other issues."
It is very easy to muddle the connections.They conductors will reach several coils -some right ,some wrong as you may be discovering?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #11

Gelbster

I am quite sure that I did not miss connect the coils.
I followed the same method/system I've always followed when changing spark plugs...change one at a time before going to the next plug & coil.
I had the issue of a severe rough idle, backfires and engine dying out on me prior to me changing the plugs & coils.
Codes P0154 & P0134 are pending codes and somehow are linked to the Pre-Cat 02 sensors.
Code P0410 is for secondary air injection.
Code 1124 is for fuel pump rely output stage
Code 1126 is for Oxygen sensing adaptation, lower load range cyl 1-3
Code P1411 is for secondary air injection system, cyl 4-6
Code 0455 is for fuel tank ventilation system major leak

MNC-I