986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stick shift boogie (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70057)

NewArt 11-16-2017 03:26 PM

Stick shift boogie

So I jump in my car to get to my guitar lesson (jazz :cool:), Throw it in reverse...uh, throw it in reverse... uh, no reverse? Wait, no 1st or 3rd, etc.
Tear out the console, undo the short shift kit which had previously given me problems, check the slide in the cables. Bingo! Jack up the car and crawl under. One of the cables had decided to pop out of it's mount near the transmission. I put it back in but I don't trust that clip anymore. Happily it did this in my garage and not out in the boonies somewhere! A common occurrence? :confused:

Meir 11-16-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 555534)
So I jump in my car to get to my guitar lesson (jazz :cool:), Throw it in reverse...uh, throw it in reverse... uh, no reverse? Wait, no 1st or 3rd, etc.
Tear out the console, undo the short shift kit which had previously given me problems, check the slide in the cables. Bingo! Jack up the car and crawl under. One of the cables had decided to pop out of it's mount near the transmission. I put it back in but I don't trust that clip anymore. Happily it did this in my garage and not out in the boonies somewhere! A common occurrence? :confused:

Very common issue.
Try to bend the clips to position. if it still slips, you can always zip tie it to place.

NewArt 11-18-2017 12:11 PM

Seems to be holding for the moment. I’ll reinforce it next time I’m under there.
I have just replaced my SSK with a 987 shifter and I’m liking it. Yes, the throws are longer but very smooth: no more searching for 3rd! I also think that part of the problem was a soft centering spring in the neutral gate.

356Guy 04-29-2019 10:11 AM

Just had this happen on the weekend. Fortunately I knew about this common issue. Both of the cables had worked their way out of the bracket slots. A couple of zip ties and some cussing trying to get my hands in there and it was fixed. I blame a poor design and the rough roads around here.

PaulE 04-29-2019 10:29 AM

Did I miss that you got your rebuilt engine installed and are back up and running? Please post an update or direct me to what I missed. I'm going to be up your way at Mt. Tremblant July 5, 6 & 7 for the NNJR/NE Regions HPDE.

jaykay 04-29-2019 09:16 PM

This has not happened to me......yet. Is there there a way to lock wire the cable ends?

Perhaps the zip tie arrangement is just as good.

Newsguy 04-30-2019 05:36 AM

Wire it!

I'm going to try just a loop of safety wire. Yank on the twisters, and it's never moving...until you want it!

jaykay 04-30-2019 10:20 AM

yes man......any excuse to break out the aviation lock wire pliers!

clickman 04-30-2019 11:54 AM

I had similar symptoms from the plastic rivet in the shifter breaking.

I upgraded to the 9x7 short shifter.

marsheng 05-01-2019 02:56 AM

Maybe you car does not like Jazz. Try going to a heavy metal lesson and see if the problem goes away.

You can see its late and I'm tired.