986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Muffler packing material (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69939)

ed0 11-09-2017 03:50 PM

Muffler packing material

Hi all,
I am finally getting to a muffler project I previously posted about and I can't find any info on muffler packing material. I have found some high temp muffler wrapping and stainless steel wool, but I am trying to fill the whole stock Boxster muffler with material, and it would get pretty pricey. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Eli

Ciao 11-09-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0 (Post 554797)
Hi all,
I am finally getting to a muffler project I previously posted about and I can't find any info on muffler packing material. I have found some high temp muffler wrapping and stainless steel wool, but I am trying to fill the whole stock Boxster muffler with material, and it would get pretty pricey. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Eli

When I owned a Suzuki motorcyle GSXR 1100 I packed the Vance And Hines exhaust with fiberglass; the sound was awesome!

WillH 11-10-2017 01:32 AM

As the stock box is quite big and I assume it will be welded shut, the best bet would be stainless steel exhaust packing. I agree that it would be very expensive. The next best would be ceramic exhaust packing. Fibreglass would be my last choice as it will eventually blow out and this being welded shut doesn't lend itself to an easy re-pack that a riveted motorcycle muffler does.
Do it right or do it again comes to mind. Depending on mileage I would have to re-pack my bikes pipes every 2-3 years to keep the sound reasonable with fibreglass muffler packing...

Twin headlight Ernie 11-10-2017 04:22 AM

packing

I have nine motorcycles and three of them have Supertrapp mufflers that require repacking every couple of years. I've used fiberglass repack kits and they work but seem short lived. My latest attempt on my dual sport bike included trying out S.S. "brillo" pads. They are the type you use to scrub pots and pans in your kitchen sink. I got a case of 12 at a surplus store. They are shaped like a donut and I slipped them over the core in a stack. After stacking 6 or 7 of them I replaced the core back into the outer housing and bolted it back together. it was a bit louder than the fiberglass packing but I do expect it to last longer. Time will tell. It was a cheap and low effort fix.

Oldcarguy 11-10-2017 07:44 AM

Area P No Limits muffler packing

I’ve used “Area P No Limits” muffler packing for over a decade with great success on all my bikes. You use only the Area P, no stainless steel wrapping or SS packing. You can buy it in bulk rather than in specific kits. Google per above in quotes for their website.

I pack my street bikes moderately loose and have had the packing last easily for 2-3 years of regular use. The Area P website claims 20-40k miles for their exhaust systems with their packing material before repack but who knows regarding real world use (too many variables). I love the sound I typically get. Of course, YMMV but IMHO it’s worth taking a look at their site for packing tips, etc if for no other reason.

Packing will typically last longer in high volume (capacity, not sound) mufflers with low amplitude pulses rather than low volume, high amplitude pulse contexts. Heat and muffler can material are also important factors.

Bottom line - Any type of effective muffler packing is a consumable and you’re going to have to open the muffler again to repack it at some point. It’s a given.