Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Garage
Key immobilizer

Okay so I have my original key and it's fine. I got a new key shank and got it cut. The key FOB I got online (original) has the immobilizer rice sized chip but NOT the circuit board or battery. The key opens the door (mechanical operation), and the dash lights come on but the key will NOT start the car! I get that I need to program the immobilizer chip but how? I don't care if I can't remotely open or close the doors only as a spare to start the car!

Roger Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

Garage
As I understand it you will need to visit the dealer to have them add the key chip to the immobilizer computer. That will cost a fair bit, like $150 minimum maybe even $300. The dealer has to get a code from Porsche to make it work. At least that's what I've been seeing. I've only got one key and need to get something done for a second. It appears you can have a non electronic mechanical key, sometimes wrongly referred to as the valet key, which is acutely considered an extra key done which has the chip but no buttons to unlock the door or trunk(s). That might be cheeper to have setup.
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Only dealers and a few independent shops have the proper test equipment to program the the key, immobilizer, and ECU so they work as a matched set. There are no other options. As Marck said, expect to pay a lot.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Only dealers and a few independent shops have the proper test equipment to program the the key, immobilizer, and ECU so they work as a matched set. There are no other options. As Marck said, expect to pay a lot.
I, too, have only 1 key. And, after having read a few posts about the dilemma posed by the absence of a key I looked into a replacement from the dealer. Phoned 2. Rancho Mirage, and Walter's in Riverside. Both quoted me $500 and some change.

Walter's broke it down: ~$350 for the key... ~$150 for the install.

Definitely happening.

$500 key. $2 lube. Figure I'll get out of there for under $550.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #5

Garage
Key immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I, too, have only 1 key. And, after having read a few posts about the dilemma posed by the absence of a key I looked into a replacement from the dealer. Phoned 2. Rancho Mirage, and Walter's in Riverside. Both quoted me $500 and some change.

Walter's broke it down: ~$350 for the key... ~$150 for the install.

Definitely happening.

$500 key. $2 lube. Figure I'll get out of there for under $550.
I was told by the key shop who cut my blank they COULD pair my key to the car! I'll check today about the cost. So far I have $22 for the used FOB with immobilizer chip, $7 for the shank blank, and $55 to laser cut the blank.
Roger Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #6

Garage
Like others my car came to me with only the one key, it was one with the buttons.

I purchased 2 of the basic keys (no Buttons) and lighted heads part #'s 996-637-041-01 and 996-538-531-00 from the dealer for $138.50. The dealer also programed them to my car for another $85.50.

The basic keys do not have buttons so you have to insert the key to unlock the doors and open the drivers door to release the trunks. I can live with that.
So I'm into these 2 new basic keys about 112.00 each.
Cheap for Porsche related parts...!

A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote