Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Run

EBC Front Bake Pads

I know this is a boxster forum so pretend this is a question about an 06 Boxster
I am trying to replace my front pads on my 06 cayman with the EBC red pads.

The issue comes in with the metal retainer clip due to the way the pads are designed see picture there is no way to compress that clamp to fit back under the retaining pin. I know some of you have a cayman or two am I missing something here?
OEM pad vs EBC Pad very different casings I have verified its the right pad.

The rears went in with no issue

Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

I fitted EBC red to my 2003 S with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

With the spring removed, do the holes for the pin in the pads line up with the pin holes in the caliper?

If so, then you just need to compress the spring further to so the pin can slide through to the other side. This is what you see in Traco's photo above.

If the holes in the pads do not line up with the holes in the caliper, then the pads are not correct (despite what the box says or what someone on the phone says).

One time I bought EBC red pads and the pads in the box were not what the box said. I returned the pads and bought the same pads from another source which had the correct pads in the correct box.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-29-2017 at 08:37 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Run

I have the exact pads as pictured and the pin lines up perfectly. What I seem to have that's different is that metal bracket. Its just not long enough to fit where it needs to go even if I hammered it flat. I wonder if there was a change at some point on that bracket. I am waiting on pelican to wake up to check.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Run

Update:

This is for anyone else who runs into this issue. My car in fact has what was the front two plates for an 07 base Cayman. I am assuming the Dealership did it on the last brake change. What you need is the back two plates as these fit exactly where they need to go. The front one will not fit in the back so you have to order the caliper kit and take the back two from it to finish out the job.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:06 AM   #6

hi all, my name is Lena)) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site
Old 10-31-2017, 04:10 AM   #7

I had the exact same issue 3 yrs ago on my 08 CSS. Bought Ferrado pads and the front pads arrived looking like your EBCs (the rears were fine). I was leaving in a few days for Porsche Parade in Monterey & was doing the DE at Laguna Seca after Parade. No time for figuring it out and waiting for replacements, so I took the pads to the bench grinder and made them work.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #8

To clarify, the spring clips on the front pads were redesigned around 2007. The pads are obviously different too. However both pad designs will work on a 986 or 987. You just need the correct spring clips (and correct wear sensors if you're still using those). The 986 uses the longer style spring clip, which would be appropriate for the original poster's EBC pads above. The longer spring clips can be found on eBay for $10, Centric part number 117.37004. You can see that the dealer had previously installed the newer style pads and clips on the OP's car, so the hardware didn't fit when he went back to the 986 style pads.