Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Got my Z-top

It's really nice and although I'm not sure how it will fix in the car, on the floor it fits together great :dance::dance::dance:

:dance:

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
It's really nice and although I'm not sure how it will fix in the car, on the floor it fits together great :dance::dance::dance:

:dance:

OMG awesome. I guess now you have to paint it and then who will do the install? Im very curious since i may want it too, for my 986 facelifted model.

By the way, how much did it cost ?
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacostas View Post
OMG awesome. I guess now you have to paint it and then who will do the install? Im very curious since i may want it too, for my 986 facelifted model.

By the way, how much did it cost ?
Well they're about $3000 with shipping out of Ohio but i bought it off Ebay for $1000 😉 The seller bought it, didn't even have time to unpack it, his IMS blew on him. It was on Ebay for about 2 weeks. Starting bid $1000 no reserve, didn't get a bid. It's really nice. I'm thinking I may try to fit it. Depends how much it takes. I cant test fit it because my other hardtop is on the car and I dont have anyone around to help take it off ☹
Im going to either have it painted or I may wrap it and make it custom. I can always peel it off.

Last edited by JBauer; 10-30-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
MWS

I have mixed feelings about these tops; on one hand I really like them (maybe secretly want one), but... A Boxster with a Z-top is (almost) a Cayman, and part of me says that if I wanted a Cayman, I should buy a Cayman, not make a Boxster into a Cayman. I suppose that even though I like the look, at the same time I have problems with changing something to look like something else. For example, has anyone ever bought a Cayman and then cut off the top to make it a convertible? I would guess not (or at least with any frequency), as a convertible Cayman is available...the Boxster.

Apologies if I have offended (as not my intent), and remember... I might secretly want one.

BTW... I like your decor (seriously), although I do also have mixed emotions on the top as a coffee table. Please tell me that isn't what you are going to repurpose your old hard top for. (Although my wife says the trend now is to mix, match and clash...what better than a Gaurds Red Porsche top table?)
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
I have mixed feelings about these tops; on one hand I really like them (maybe secretly want one), but... A Boxster with a Z-top is (almost) a Cayman, and part of me says that if I wanted a Cayman, I should buy a Cayman, not make a Boxster into a Cayman. I suppose that even though I like the look, at the same time I have problems with changing something to look like something else. For example, has anyone ever bought a Cayman and then cut off the top to make it a convertible? I would guess not (or at least with any frequency), as a convertible Cayman is available...the Boxster.

Apologies if I have offended (as not my intent), and remember... I might secretly want one.

BTW... I like your decor (seriously), although I do also have mixed emotions on the top as a coffee table. Please tell me that isn't what you are going to repurpose your old hard top for. (Although my wife says the trend now is to mix, match and clash...what better than a Guards Red Porsche top table?)
Thanks for your input. I feel like it going to be the best of both worlds when I'm done. The looks of a Cayman when the weather is cooler and the feel of a convertible when it suits me.

Oh and my wife's away at a conference or the top wouldn't be in my living room 😉
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Putting a Z-top on Boxster is not trying to make it look like something it isn't.
Quite the opposite, actually. A Cayman is just the coupe version of the 987 Boxster, so the Z-top is just how the 986 hardtop should have looked from the beginning.
Your statement is sort of like saying that a 996 cab with a hardtop is trying to look like a 911...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post

BTW... I like your decor (seriously), although I do also have mixed emotions on the top as a coffee table. Please tell me that isn't what you are going to repurpose your old hard top for. (Although my wife says the trend now is to mix, match and clash...what better than a Gaurds Red Porsche top table?)
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I feel like it going to be the best of both worlds when I'm done. The looks of a Cayman when the weather is cooler and the feel of a convertible when it suits me.

Oh and my wife's away at a conference or the top wouldn't be in my living room 😉
It's sad how the first thought (after looking at the picture) is: "How did he get his wife to let him bring it into the house?!?!?!?"

I'm so whipped.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
It's sad how the first thought (after looking at the picture) is: "How did he get his wife to let him bring it into the house?!?!?!?"

I'm so whipped.
LOL she's away on a conference. If she came home and saw that she'd kick my butt. So don't feel bad
While the cats away....

Last edited by JBauer; 10-31-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Putting a Z-top on Boxster is not trying to make it look like something it isn't.
Quite the opposite, actually. A Cayman is just the coupe version of the 987 Boxster, so the Z-top is just how the 986 hardtop should have looked from the beginning.
Your statement is sort of like saying that a 996 cab with a hardtop is trying to look like a 911...
cayman, 987 boxster, and 986 boxster all have fundamentally different lines. front and rear bumper covers are much more modern on the 987 and 987c. cayman has the sharkfin intake. even the 987 and 987c differ in this area - look at the relief around the intake on the two cars - different.

the 986 has classic lines, modeled after the 550 spyder. the 987 are much more modern. a ztop on a 986 is not a cayman - it is something unique.

not to mention, a ztop allows you the best of both worlds. buying a cayman gets you a coupe only.

oddly, you search threads on the ztop and there is always some guy saying "you want a cayman, buy a cayman".
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
WALDMEISTER

Garage
we guys are lucky (cough ) owning the most versatile Porsche platform ever created.

...and as being the savoir of PORSCHE, the 986 deserves to offer the best of all worlds.

1.) interchangeability of parts 986-996
2.) Midengine
3.) similar looks (996, interior and exterior)
4.) Roadster
5.) Spyder (humps)
6.) Cayman (hard top)

A wonderful versatility, no other model will ever offer again!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #11

did you say spyder?

Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 AM   #12

Job 1,2 and 3 done 😀

The first 2 pics are the scariest things I've ever seen on Halloween 👻

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #13

Easy stuffs over now 😐
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
did you say spyder?

awesome sauce....
plz keep us updated, eh
Old 10-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

:dance::dance::dance:
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Easy stuffs over now ��
don't forget to remove your third brake light ...

ah, bran's already on it.

Last edited by The Radium King; 10-31-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
don't forget to remove your third brake light ...
Ya I forgot. I also forgot to take off the black mldg that covers where the ears fit. I just wanted to see it on. I'll do it take it off and remove those things once i get help. This is too stressful by myself ��
Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #18

Could someone tell me how this little cover comes off? 🙄
Old 10-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #19

i understand that stress. i have a spinlock-shaped divot just behind my drivers door when a hardtop hoist very similar to the one you are using dropped my top onto my car (works ok when no hatch on; doesn't work very well when the hatch is attached).
Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Could someone tell me how this little cover comes off? 🙄
It just pops out (a type of snap joint).

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote