Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #1

Is there anyway to add extra Amp and Sub to a 987 Bose for more bass?

I'm not sure where to tap off the audio for the sub amp on a987? Where is the cleanest place to take it? or what is the simplest...?

I find the sub in the bose setup doesn't do it for me, I want to add a JL Amp and Two 10's behind the seats in fiberglass enclosure....

yleiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
bmussatti

Wow, I have the bass set to neutral in my Bose system. I think if anything the bass in the Bose set-up is too boomy. Oh well, to each his own!

How can you put 10" enclosed speakers behind the seats? You must have really short legs! My seats are right up against the firewall.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #3

wow is right

I am with you, that thing is booming with bass....my seats are right up against the wall to.....

sorry, back to the question.......ummmmm....I have no clue
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to yfei
On my 987 with bose I have to set the bass to -2 and tremble to -1. I am an audiophile The mid bass is too boomy, but at the same time it lacks of low end bass.
There seems no way to adjust this bose to close to neutral sounding, a little regret I should get the standard sound system. Maybe a good sub can add some low end bass, not a bad idea.
Bose Audio System
yfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
boggtown

I think that if you had a profesionally done fiberglass box, you would loose minimal leg room. If you do get some boxes made, post some pictures. While you could probaly get a line out converter to run to the amp or something... just get a new cd player. And if you need subs, I will sell you mine. 2 10W3V2's, Kicker KX600.1 amp, 1 farad stinger cap, and I have 2 10W0's if your looking for less power.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #6

See my thread here for a really-expensive solution:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6322
Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to arshadj
I have been told that the wave-length of a low-frequency wave is so long that you would have to be standing further away to even hear all of it. Your problem then would be that you want low-end bass from speakers which are basically 4 inches from your ears, which makes it a tall order! IMHO one way could be to design your box so that there are long ports (like the Bose wave-radio) so that the wave gets enough 'travel' before it reaches your ears.

I totally agree that the bass in the Bose setup is really muddled and gets worse the more you put it up. But the problem might be that we are hearing a 'truncated' low frequency so it might be getting overpowered by mid-bass. My treble is also set way down otherwise it gets too much on the higher frequencies without doing anything in the mid frequencies. Though I am not a 'tinkerer' or engineer, I am an audiophile, and thought I would put my 2-bits in!

Happy tinkering, and remember that it is not the quantity of sound - it is the quality!!

arshadj is offline   Reply With Quote