Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

2003 Boxster travails

Newbie on this forum, but I have been on Pelican 911 forum for years....also have a 1973 2.7 MFI 911.

I recently bought a 2003 Boxster . I knew that car had some CEL issues, but it was a solid car with IMS replacement done and a fresh Tiptronic as well.

The car had been sitting for a year.

1. Battery was DOA so I replaced that.
2. started fine, but had a fuel leak ......cracked nipple on the vent valve on top of the fuel tank. New sender unit fixed that one...
3. Had a cell p0141. replaced 2 O2 sensors.
4. New air filter
5. New MAF
6 checked the vacuum lines on the engine. Check valve was not plugged into the inlet manifold
7. SAI solenoid line to SAI valve disconnected.

I studied a whole bunch about the Vacuum system and replaced a few of those questionable rubber connectors with good quality high temp 3mm silicon hose.

All check engine lights gone for now.....time for some driving cycles to reset the monitors so I can smog this thing.

Other things I tended to:

put 10 oz. of R134a in the A/C system and it went from cool to nice and cold.
Got the radio working by installed a 15 amp fuse in D8 slot.

replaced a top restraining cable that was broken
Hooked up the battery vent.

This site, Wayne's 101 BOXSTER TIPS and the Bentley manual have been very helpful, as have been Dave and Jeremy at TRE Motorsports.

The car is really nice. My wife is dying to get he hands on it.....I just want everything working.

Next project: Drive door window regulator R&R.

boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome. Please post a pic of your car when you can.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

Will post a photos when I get on my other computer

Car cam from Arcadia...near you.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #4

Here is a shot of the 2003

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #5

That's a great looking car. You're really digging in to bring it back! Welcome and keep us posted.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

Nice work BoxFix and welcome to the madness. '03 Boxster are a good year with the glove box and glass rear window. I stopped by TRE once with an IMS bearing question. I was extremely impressed. They were extremely honest and knowledgeable.

For used parts (if you need or use them) take a look at the first link from Woody. Great member and as honest and dependable as the day is long.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

If Woody doesn't have it check out porschequalityparts on eBay. Good selection and fair prices. There descriptions are always very good and shipping is fast.

qualityporscheparts on eBay

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the information.

I bought my 1973 911 from TRE 20 years ago and they have become good friends. Great people......Jeremy is great and Dave is a straight shooter and VERY VERY knowledgeable.

This 2003 was one of their customer cars......IMS is done by them back then.

We are neighbors. I am near Mulholland and Cold Canyon Rd......near Stunt.

I am still working on SAI codes.....came back ********************.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Nice work BoxFix and welcome to the madness. '03 Boxster are a good year with the glove box and glass rear window. I stopped by TRE once with an IMS bearing question. I was extremely impressed. They were extremely honest and knowledgeable.

For used parts (if you need or use them) take a look at the first link from Woody. Great member and as honest and dependable as the day is long.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

If Woody doesn't have it check out porschequalityparts on eBay. Good selection and fair prices. There descriptions are always very good and shipping is fast.

qualityporscheparts on eBay
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
Project Addicted

There is an SAI "fooler" being made by a member for testing purposes only!!

Particlewave. Do search.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
There is an SAI "fooler" being made by a member for testing purposes only!!

Particlewave. Do search.
Thanks. I am looking into that!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #10

Progress report

I was back in the engine compartment a couple of days ago and found the check valve that plugs into the rubber inlet manifold was not very tight, no barbs on it to hold things in place. I had found this one disconnected a week ago and it is the main vacuum source.

I bought some barbed 3/16 brass fittings and and inserted that into the hole and used high temp silicon tubing to connect it to the "Y" fitting. Also put in a barbed fitting going into the "Y". I plan to work my way through the vacuum lines and put in these better materials in place of the rubber that is deteriorating.

high quality silicon tubing is so much better than the rubber that Porsche used.

No SAI codes for a day or so, so I am going to run the route and try to get in for a smog test today or tomorrow.

Last edited by boxfix; 09-08-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #11

Vacuum leaks are hard. I chased one in my 01S for a year. Replaced lines and valves to no avail. It turned out that the reservoir itself had a small crack. CEL has been off ever since.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Did 100miles today. No sai codes for first 40 and then they came back.

gotta cure this.

More work.....I have an idea.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #13

Well an update.....I was in New England for a while so I have been away from this Boxster project.

I did go 450 miles and go a P0491 and 0492 code. Today I found that the vacuum reservoir was leaking and replaced that. Luckily I had ordered one just in case....they are only $22.

I bench tested the new one and it would hold vacuum.

Plugged the same test rig into the installed reservoir and it would not hold vacuum.

After idling about 10 minutes EVERYTHING but SAI monitors reset. That is pretty cool without driving the car. Will put some miles on it tomorrow.

Also replaced the driver's door window regulator finally and the window works well.......the old one was really fouled up.

Good day.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #14

I put 87 miles on the Boxster today and the SAI has not yet reset.

I did more testing on the vacuum system with the new reservoir installed.

I am getting 18" of HG at my 1000 feet or elevation. This appears to be a good reading. I tried this before with the leaking reservoir in there and I was getting like 9 "hg.

I wish I had done this test days and miles ago.

You can get a vacuum gauge for $13 from Harbor freight, and a hand vacuum pump for $25 or so.

I used the hand pump to test the reservoir and the good one would hold 15" hg.

Bad one would not hold any vacuum. I kept the reservoir in place and reached in there with 2 long needle nose pliers to remove the hose on the old reservoir. then I put the hand pump with a long piece of silicone tubing hooked to the old reservoir. Sure enough it would hold no vacuum.

I put on connector on the "Y" fitting and use a long piece of hose to hook the new reservoir into the system.

I disconnected a vacuum line on solenoid for the Triptronic and installed the test vacuum gauge there. I go 17"HG which climbed to over 18" when the car warmed up. That was at 830 idle RPM.

So I feel I have fixed the vacuum leaks. I assume I would not have this much vacuum if I had a leak of any size.

I have replaced every bit of vacuum tubing I can reach with 4mm ID silicon tubing and brass barbed connectors.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #15

finally got all the monitors to reset yesterday. Passed CA smog today.

Replacing the vacuum reservoir was the last step. It too 200 miles or so for all the monitors to go PASS on the Durametric.

Lesson learned......put a vacuum gauge on the system and make sure you have 15 to 20 " Hg. Then you are in the ball park.

suspect all connections and hoses and REALLY suspect the reservoir......and it only costs $21. Test it with a hand vacuum pump.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
Newbie on this forum, but I have been on Pelican 911 forum for years....also have a 1973 2.7 MFI 911.

I recently bought a 2003 Boxster . I knew that car had some CEL issues, but it was a solid car with IMS replacement done and a fresh Tiptronic as well.

The car had been sitting for a year.

1. Battery was DOA so I replaced that.
2. started fine, but had a fuel leak ......cracked nipple on the vent valve on top of the fuel tank. New sender unit fixed that one...
3. Had a cell p0141. replaced 2 O2 sensors.
4. New air filter
5. New MAF
6 checked the vacuum lines on the engine. Check valve was not plugged into the inlet manifold
7. SAI solenoid line to SAI valve disconnected.

I studied a whole bunch about the Vacuum system and replaced a few of those questionable rubber connectors with good quality high temp 3mm silicon hose.

All check engine lights gone for now.....time for some driving cycles to reset the monitors so I can smog this thing.

Other things I tended to:

put 10 oz. of R134a in the A/C system and it went from cool to nice and cold.
Got the radio working by installed a 15 amp fuse in D8 slot.

replaced a top restraining cable that was broken
Hooked up the battery vent.

This site, Wayne's 101 BOXSTER TIPS and the Bentley manual have been very helpful, as have been Dave and Jeremy at TRE Motorsports.

The car is really nice. My wife is dying to get he hands on it.....I just want everything working.

Next project: Drive door window regulator R&R.
Nice Car, Hope you enjoy it. I just acquired a 2002 2.7 down in Orange County last weekend. I am up in the SFV and Dave and Jeremy at TRE have worked on my other P-car as well.

Check my thread on Super Car Sunday this weekend and let me know if you would like to join.

1973 914 2.0-Marathon Blue Metallic (Funday Driver)
1972 VW Beetle Convertible-Saturn Yellow (Sunday Driver)
2013 Panamera S Platinum Silver Metallic (Daily Driver)
2002 Boxster 2.7-Lapis Blue Metallic (Don't Even Ask!)
98Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sixer View Post
Nice Car, Hope you enjoy it. I just acquired a 2002 2.7 down in Orange County last weekend. I am up in the SFV and Dave and Jeremy at TRE have worked on my other P-car as well.

Check my thread on Super Car Sunday this weekend and let me know if you would like to join.

THANKS.
I will check it out. I do go once in a while to Supercar Sunday. It is close.

I may take the 1973.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
THANKS.
I will check it out. I do go once in a while to Supercar Sunday. It is close.

I may take the 1973.
We meet up to caffeinate and stage the cars at 6:30am at the Starbucks located in Gateway Plaza:
5422 Topanga Canyon Blvd.,
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Starbucks...;4d-118.6053877

We'll roll out of Starbucks at 6:45am the few blocks north up Topanga to the event. Post Super Car event is the Tuna Canyon Drive and up the coast to Neptune's Net for lunch. All are welcome.

1973 914 2.0-Marathon Blue Metallic (Funday Driver)
1972 VW Beetle Convertible-Saturn Yellow (Sunday Driver)
2013 Panamera S Platinum Silver Metallic (Daily Driver)
2002 Boxster 2.7-Lapis Blue Metallic (Don't Even Ask!)
98Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Belated welcome, Boxfix! Nice looking car. I have an 03 Base (MT) as well. Wish I could drive it on your canyon roads, though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #20

You should probably replace the other two 02 sensors sooner than later. With four brand new ones in the car you'll see a nice increase in performance, fuel economy, and idle.

When I replaced all four in my boxster a couple of years after owning it I was amazed at the increase in power.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote