986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Tires? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6864)

tonyg 07-25-2006 12:34 PM

New Tires?

I've got 10k on my Michelin Pilot Sports. They're 17 inch wheels. I've been calling tire places and have heard Michelin Pilot Sport Rib and Pirelli P Zero Rosso about an equal number of times. I don't drive aggressively, my Boxster is my daily driver, to and from work. I'm more concerned about tread life and durability than handling. The price is about the same on both tires - so which ones?

Brucelee 07-25-2006 12:36 PM

You likely don't need either tire, although they are both excellent. They are also pricey.

Try www.tirerack.com for prices and ratings of comp tires.

Good luck.

RandallNeighbour 07-25-2006 12:39 PM

Now I could be all wrong on this opinion, but I have both found and heard from others that Pirelli's have a softer rubber compound and will be very sticky, grippy tires for you but not last as long as other brands. Others may feel free to disagree with me, it's ok...

Let the tire wars begin. Again! And again! And Again! :eek:

tonyg 07-25-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
You likely don't need either tire, although they are both excellent. They are also pricey.

Try www.tirerack.com for prices and ratings of comp tires.

Good luck.

Interesting - I called tirerack and the salesperson recommended the Pirelli's - he didn't offer an alternative. Oh well...........

blinkwatt 07-25-2006 12:41 PM

I have the Rossos on now. For the price I wouldnt buy them(they came on my wheels as a deal),I would buy Bridgestone S03s,now those are amazing tires all around. I havent seen the S03s on Tirerack though lately. Other alternatives are Kuhmo Ecsta ASX,I have only heard great reviews from people who use them. They are less then half the price of the Rossos.
Here is a review from a 03 Boxster owner.
"About 1/2 the price of comparable Michelins or Bridgestones (which preceded these tires on my car). Previous tires lasted less than 15,000 miles. These tires have a much higher treadwear rating, and appear to have as much dry grip and cornering performance of either of the more expensive tires. Have not been in rain enough to really evaluate the wet grip, but that is a secondary factor as I tend to drive much more conservatively in the wet. The Kuhmos are materially quieter than previous tires, and seem smoother running as well. I hope that the availablily of tires like these will put some pressure on other manufacturers to price their high perfomance tires more reasonably. I believe that the prices are so outlandish on most of the other tires because they think that if you drive a Porsche, you can afford anything. NOT TRUE! My brother drives a Porsche Turbo track car, and has also found that Kuhmos perform as well as much more expensive tires on the track."

bmussatti 07-25-2006 12:51 PM

Here is a good little write-up from the Chicago PCA (go to page 26):

http://www.pca-chicago.org/scene/SceneJuly06.pdf

RandallNeighbour 07-25-2006 01:34 PM

Dang! That's one wonderful regional publication! The Lone Star Region rag is crap compared to this!

bmussatti 07-25-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Dang! That's one wonderful regional publication! The Lone Star Region rag is crap compared to this!

Yeah, they do a bang-up job here in the Windy City. You can read more at www.pca-chicago.org. Then click on "Chicago Scene" (the name of the monthly publication).

Rail26 07-25-2006 03:46 PM

No kidding...64 pages? I get a one page piece of crap printed on recycled toilet paper. Makes it hard to read when someone ate Mexican food the night of the printing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

threpwood 07-25-2006 07:04 PM

PS2 my preference. It has excellent traction for running under wet conditions IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyg
I've got 10k on my Michelin Pilot Sports. They're 17 inch wheels. I've been calling tire places and have heard Michelin Pilot Sport Rib and Pirelli P Zero Rosso about an equal number of times. I don't drive aggressively, my Boxster is my daily driver, to and from work. I'm more concerned about tread life and durability than handling. The price is about the same on both tires - so which ones?

BuffaloBoxster 07-26-2006 05:51 AM

I just got new rear S03's for my '01. They ended up being really cheap - about $400 out the door from Firestone. I suspect that these tires are going to be out of production soon. The guy at first couldn't get a price on them, then finally they got this remarkably low price - I paid $1100 for my set last year.

If you can still get them, especially at the price I got them for, go for it. They're an excellent tire.

boxsterx 07-26-2006 06:00 AM

Think about getting nitto 555 extreme zr, its the best bang for the buck that you can get.....good treadwear rating, grips good and i got all four at under $1000 for my 19" rims. Here's the link: http://www.nittotire.com/tires_555.asp

Perfectlap 07-26-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
I just got new rear S03's for my '01. They ended up being really cheap - about $400 out the door from Firestone. I suspect that these tires are going to be out of production soon. The guy at first couldn't get a price on them, then finally they got this remarkably low price - I paid $1100 for my set last year.

If you can still get them, especially at the price I got them for, go for it. They're an excellent tire.

$400? for all 4???
17" ?
dang you got a good deal.

bmussatti 07-26-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
$400? for all 4???
17" ?
dang you got a good deal.

I think he got 2 rear tires for $400.

MikenOH 07-26-2006 10:33 AM

Tonyg

If you're looking for 225/45/17 (f) and 255/40/17 (r) sizes, consider the Bridgestone RE050A which tire rack is currently running a close out on for around $100ea. They were OEM on 987's for a while and tested fairly well in C&D tire test last year.

Perfectlap 07-26-2006 10:41 AM

how about 18" any deals anyone cares to share?
Have a slow leak in one of my rears. Same one I had replaced six months
after pinching the sidewall on a drive way. grrr..

IowaS 07-26-2006 10:49 AM

Probably chiming in late here but a friend of mine with an S4 said he would never buy Pirellis again..I have the S03's and they are great..

MikenOH 07-26-2006 05:27 PM

Perfectlap.........

Not sure what type of tire you're looking for but under the maximum performance lable,the Bridgestone RE050A is a very good tire--again, I think tire rack is closing out that tire but I think the real good deals were on the 17" sizes.
If I were in the market for decent--not great 18" tire for street use, I'd look at the Kumho SPT. Very good wet weather capability with good dry weather stats and not too expensive. Also, the BFG g-force sport gets good marks for an inexpensive tire.

BuffaloBoxster 07-26-2006 06:03 PM

Yeah that $400 was for two rears, mounting, balancing, valestems, and road hazard warranty. It's still a good deal. The tires themselves were in the neighborhood of $275 each last year.

Rail26 07-27-2006 06:12 PM

I am running the Bridgestone Potenza 050As. I dig 'em. Kind of expensive though...