986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gahh top straps (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6848)

Hake 07-24-2006 04:00 AM

Gahh top straps

There is a previous thread about velcro straps on the GAHH tops popping out the side. Ive had my top on for a couple weeks now and it just happened to me this morning. Straps on the drivers side are sticking out about 3 to 4 inches.

The previous thread (search "gahh strap") mentioned something about a missing pin but that doesnt seem to have been the problem. Anyone get this problem resolved? ANy info will be appreciated. I plan to call my installer this afternoon and it would be nice if i had some more info to provide him.

Marc Gelefsky 07-24-2006 06:18 AM

The only issue I have had is the velcro strap on the right side coming lose, this causes the roof to fold outside of the molding.
I was able to attach it back myself in 2 minutes, if it keeps happening I may have to bring it back to the shop.

Whats strap are you talking about? do you have a pic?

Hake 07-24-2006 06:48 AM

Marc,

I have straps coming out on the drivers side, right above the window. It seems really weird that they are sticking out, if it was just velcro detatching, i dont know why it would start sticking out where it is. No pic yet, it just happend this morning on the way to work. I will take some tonight if i dont leave the car with the installer.

When you "fixed" your straps was it just a matter of re-connecting the velcro? Nothing broke did it?

Marc Gelefsky 07-24-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hake
Marc,

I have straps coming out on the drivers side, right above the window. It seems really weird that they are sticking out, if it was just velcro detatching, i dont know why it would start sticking out where it is. No pic yet, it just happend this morning on the way to work. I will take some tonight if i dont leave the car with the installer.

When you "fixed" your straps was it just a matter of re-connecting the velcro? Nothing broke did it?

Nothing was broken, was simply a matter of securing the velcro.

ddb 07-24-2006 01:31 PM

Hey Guys,

On my car, the straps are evidently placed under too much pressure causing the velcro to fail. The edges of the top sometimes rest outside of the black rails when raising the top.

I've talked to GAHH about this and they had my installer check for a couple of possible causes. My installer didn't find anything wrong, other than the missing pin, that didn't solve the problem.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to follow-up on this problem. I haven't even driven the car in over a month. Please let me know if you have any luck finding a solution.

Thanks,

ddb

ddb 10-10-2006 04:31 PM

Update

Just for a little background, I purchased my glass window GAHH top back during April, 2005, not long after they were released. I didn't have the glass separation issues like so many, but had problems with the edges of the top not properly closing inside the grooves of the black trim pieces adjacent to the side windows. I also had a problem with too much stress being put on the loops on the inside of the top. The Velcro failed and the two halves that make up the loop just dangled. While attempting to diagnose the problem my installer pointed out a missing pin on the assembly just to the left of your head if you are sitting in the driver seat. I replaced the pin, but it didn't help. I later discovered the pin had fallen out again.

Recently (10/1/06), I was washing the car and discovered two spots along the top of the glass window where the glass was separating from the fabric border. It took 18 months, but my glass had begun the often read about separation problem. I took some digital pictures and sent them to GAHH. Today (nine days later) I picked up my car after having a brand new top installed. GAHH has been great, as others have reported.

I decided to use another local installer that I've heard great things about. When I dropped off the car I told him about the issues I had been experiencing (in addition to the glass separation problem). He rather quickly told me he thought he knew what was causing the edge alignment and Velcro loop problems. He told me about a plastic piece that often breaks preventing the top from raising and lowering properly. In fact, he showed me the Porsche part he keeps in stock due to the failure being so common. Both of these parts were broken on my car and had to be replaced. My guess is these parts are easily broken when taking the old top apart for an installation of a new top.

Only time will tell if my top will function properly long term, but I have a good feeling. If anyone is still having this issue, chances are you have the same broken pieces.

ddb

RandallNeighbour 10-10-2006 04:41 PM

ddb, thanks for this write up!

I think it would be very valuable for all of us soon-to-be GAHH top owners to know what those part numbers are that break and their location so we can insure ours are not broken when we get our new tops installed :)

Could you do a little digging and let us know this info? Thanks! :cheers:

BoxsterRS 10-10-2006 06:20 PM

Can you take a picture of the broken plastic parts that you mention your installer says they commonly fail ?

ddb 10-10-2006 06:29 PM

Gladly Randall,

The part number for the broken piece is 986.561.560.01. The part number for the small plastic rivet is 986.561.597.00.

The top installer only charged me $21 for the 2 plastic rivets and the 2 broken pieces (I'm not sure what Porsche calls these parts).

If I were getting a new top, GAHH, OE, or other brand, I would have these parts available for the top installer just in case.

I will try to post some pictures of the broken part tomorrow. I made the top installer dig it out of the trash can.

ddb

ddb 10-14-2006 06:23 PM

Here are a few pictures of the broken part. It may be difficult to see, but a couple of the tabs are broken that are needed to hold the plastic rivet in place. You probably will be able to see this best on the second picture.

ddb

binaryc 10-15-2006 09:47 AM

where does that plastic piece go?

ddb 10-15-2006 05:14 PM

binaryc,

You can't see the part very easily with the top assembled. It goes behind the part shown in the picture. Note that the plastic rivet is missing in the hole. The broken tabs that I mentioned in the earlier post lock the rivet in place.

I believe the tabs are easily broken when disassembling the top. Otherwise, the tabs should be fine.

ddb