986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Shoes (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68150)

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 07:10 AM

New Shoes

1 Attachment(s)
I have had these CCW racing wheels for several years but never had them on the ground.
I took them apart, replaced bolts and painted the centers rain forest green to match the car. It handles way better, but not sure I like the look. They appear darker in pics than in the sun, but I didn't apply the clearcoat. Not sure how that would last on wheels.

Attachment 21022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

achillies 08-09-2017 07:17 AM

Looks great. I had a 996 in that color and loved the color. Don't change the wheel color.

The Radium King 08-09-2017 07:18 AM

perhaps go gold centres - classic look and ties in w your interior?

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 07:20 AM

New Shoes

Quote:

Originally Posted by achillies (Post 546512)
Looks great. I had a 996 in that color and loved the color. Don't change the wheel color.

Thanks. I am thinking about using more of the paint I have left to paint the wind screens. Too much?

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 07:23 AM

Yeah they were factory gold centers but needed painting. Not sure I did they right thing. I didnt want gold back, but was going to do silver and be conservative. I don't like the black wheel look. This turned out sorta like black wheels. I may spray the clear coat on them but it will be tricky without taking them apart again

DrCactus 08-09-2017 07:56 AM

Looks great... now do the bolts too

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 546524)

I had those polished bolts laying around. I thought it looked better than regular bolts by breaking up the color and matching the lips. I have a set I could paint. I might try one wheel and see how it looks.

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 546524)

I just realized you meant the wheel bolts, not lug bolts. No way I would paint those,
Not even the nuts.

coolbreeze551 08-09-2017 07:49 PM

Looks great. I have the same colour but just went black 5 spoke wheels since I didn't have the balls to go for something like that, looks like it paid off for you though. Must get lots of looks.

ymkmkrz 08-09-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 (Post 546564)
Looks great. I have the same colour but just went black 5 spoke wheels since I didn't have the balls to go for something like that, looks like it paid off for you though. Must get lots of looks.

Haha. I have had them since 2009 I think. I painted them as soon as I got them,
Right after I had my engine built. I put them on the ground for he first time yesterday. I was amazed how much better the car feels. I few pounds of unsprung weight goes a long way. I upgraded to an M030 suspension a few years back and it didn't make near as much difference as these wheels. No
One has really seen the car, at least anyone I know since putting them on. My wife likes them tho and she could care less about wheels.