986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche leaves LMP1 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960)

BIGJake111 07-28-2017 10:03 AM

Porsche leaves LMP1

Pretty sad to see this.

Granted with less competition running against only Toyota this year it makes sense.

Not sure how I feel about where they are going however. It's more than just the fact that it's electric but rather that's it is such an unestablished series.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/amp10369396/porsche-lmp1-exit/

Racer Boy 07-28-2017 10:14 AM

Yeah, not a surprise. Their budget was estimated to be $200 million annually, and with so little competition and the resultant publicity, it didn't make sense.

I've watched a few Formula E races, and didn't like them at all. First of all, the cars sound like electric drills, not the most appealing thing to me. Secondly, instead of a quick-change battery pack that they could replace at the pit stops, the driver changes cars.

It's early in the evolution of the class, but the way it stands now, I'd rather watch NASCAR (which I know a lot of sports car people are snobbish about, but the competition is always great).

particlewave 07-28-2017 10:36 AM

It is the future.
Get used to it. :)

Xpit77 07-28-2017 12:39 PM

LMP I is done.Now Mr Penske and Honda will run in LMP II next season.Last time the Captain played in that series they won. But that was a Porsche powered car.
On a side note the new Indy cars are out now. They look great, much like the old CART cars.They even have a roll hoop that gives it a throwback look. No halo,,,,yet.

Porsche9 07-28-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 545544)
It is the future.
Get used to it. :)

Unfortunately it will likely be boring.

thstone 07-28-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 545541)
I've watched a few Formula E races, and didn't like them at all. First of all, the cars sound like electric drills, not the most appealing thing to me. Secondly, instead of a quick-change battery pack that they could replace at the pit stops, the driver changes cars.

It's early in the evolution of the class, but the way it stands now, I'd rather watch NASCAR (which I know a lot of sports car people are snobbish about, but the competition is always great).

Exactly what I was going to write! :cheers:

rfuerst911sc 07-28-2017 04:24 PM

I don't see this as a surprise , the hand writing was on the wall when Audi pulled out of WEC and went to FE . Now Porsche and Toyota are spending stupid amounts of money to race each other . Electric/hybrid cars are the future so why not jump into a fairly new race series and prove what you can do ?
Also Porsche has stated they are stepping up their game in GT racing so maybe we'll see 3 or 4 factory GT3's in various series . Car technology is now similar to computers , always changing and a new evolution every 6 months . The old days are in the rearview mirror get used to it .

particlewave 07-28-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 545574)
Unfortunately it will likely be boring.

If you need the sound of an ICE, I suppose so. Not everyone does and with some of the biggest names in racing involved, it most certainly won't be boring.

Most_Wanted 07-29-2017 01:16 AM

Toyota only LMP1 manufacture at 2018 Le Mans.

2nd place

coreseller 07-29-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Most_Wanted (Post 545631)
Toyota only LMP1 manufacture at 2018 Le Mans.

2nd place

Now That was funny!!