Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #1

Track Day Coming Up!! Come Drive!!

i'm trying to fill the last couple of spots we have open for an upcoming track day. here are some details:

Track: Talladega Gran Prix Raceway
Where: Near Talladega, Alabama (1.5 Hours from Atlanta)
When: Thursday, July 27th from 8AM to 5PM Central Time
Cost: $100 per car (yes, that's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS)

Event:

This is a 1.33 mile road course with 12 turns (view course here: http://www.tgprace.com/about_2.jpg). It's an excellent beginner's course as the speeds are slower (70mph average, 90-120 max depending on your car) and there's nothing to hit if you spin. It was designed as a testing / training course for motorcycles, so there are no concrete barriers, just dirt runoff.

This is a very safe event; it is limited to twelve cars. We run four groups of three cars each rotated in 20 minute sessions. Cars are spaced 1/3 mile apart at the beginning of each session to keep interference to a minimum. Forcible passing is NOT allowed; passing is ONLY allowed on the front and back straights, and only at the signal of the vehicle being passed. There are no timed laps (to quash any competitive lapses in judgement).

You will get at LEAST two hours on track, more if you desire (some people get tired and give up their spots in the afternoon). Some driver instruction is available for those who'd like it (no charge, not professional). This event is NOT limited to Boxsters. Cars running R-Compound tires must have either a roof or a roll bar (Boxster roll bar is acceptable). Each run group takes turns driving and then working the course (flags, etc.) for other run groups.

This is a fun, safe, affordable way to test your skills and push your car. It has the feel of a REALLY REALLY fast autocross, but you get to drive for a LOT more than 5 minutes! If anyone is interested, please PM me. There are only a few spots left; they will be released on a first come, first serve basis. This will be our last event of this type until next year, as the course will undergo expansion and rennovations beginning August 1st.

Our last event hosted two Boxsters, a 930, a 968, a C5 Corvette, a tricked out Camaro race car, an '86 targa, a 911 SC, and even a 996 GT2. Prior events have seen everything from Austin Healy's to vintage Ferraris, 300Z's to Mustang GTs, even a Hemi Magnum. This is a GREAT time; hope some of you can join us! Take care.

P.S. As we're just a bunch of guys who rent a race track, none of us make any money here, we just like to drive. No companies are involved; I'm just a messenger. Come out and drive!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 07-18-2006 at 02:59 PM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #2

one spot left.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #3

I would do this in a heartbeat if not for a work-thing out of town Hope all have fun and you post some pics of the cars, gathering....
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #4

Wish I lived near you. I've been looking for that kind of thing in the Northeast without going the DE route. I'm getting tired of my 987S averaging 32 mph!

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote