986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which model to upgrade to? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67908)

Snipershot 07-23-2017 11:55 PM

Which model to upgrade to?

I realize opinions vary, but im thinking about buying a newer boxter, and was wondering which one to buy. I dont have a huge budget, and im in no big hurry. I have a 2001 Boxster S, and ive been thinking about a 2006 S, 2009 S, or possibly a 2012ish Boxster S. It seems the 2006-2008 models are the best priced, but that pesky IMS issue lingers with those. Any similar issues with the newer models? Is the 3.4 noticably better than the 3.2? All opinions welcome. Thanks!

Joe

Quadcammer 07-24-2017 05:47 AM

I'd probably get a DFI 9a1 base, or S if its in your budget. That will be all the power you need, with some nice refinements.

the m96/m97 is just a junk motor in my opinion, so I'd avoid it at all costs.

BIGJake111 07-24-2017 05:49 AM

Considering you already own a 986 S you'll be pretty disappointed with any pre 2012 base model.

IMO the change between your car and an 08 car doesn't justify the price difference and would be better spent moving into a low mile 03 or 04 986 S with Ims replaced.

Or. If the styling speaks to you. An 09 S.

78F350 07-24-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipershot (Post 545089)
I realize opinions vary, but im thinking about buying a newer boxster, and was wondering which one to buy. ...Joe

What is your goal? A newer car? More power? Different feel? More updated gadgets?

...What does "better" mean to you?

Me? I prefer 986s.

Snipershot 07-24-2017 10:54 AM

I suppose "better" means a little more power, more gadgets, a glove box, a few more updates, etc. But its not worth it to me to upgrade if the newer models dont handle as well, or drive as nice. I absolutely love my car, so i dont have to change, im just debating on it at the moment. Sending my car to Raby is an option also, but id still like a few interior updates.

Joe

Porsche9 07-24-2017 12:07 PM

If you are going to make a change and really get all the things you are looking for IMO it would have to be a 09 or newer. Anything older isn't enough of a change/improvement to justify the money and time. You know your car and buying something newer is always a bit of a risk since you don't really know the car and it's 5 to 8 years old.

mikefocke 07-24-2017 12:10 PM

Now what else would you want to make your current car the one you want compared to a 2012?

How do you use the car? I know the varied weather conditions in IN. Is it year round? Do you use it in winter? Have snow tires and a hardtop? Done any suspension updates?

You mention Raby-ing the motor. You'd be in 2012 territory by the time you got just a minimal updated motor and it is easy to get into some very serious money beyond that for his streetable big blocks.

And interior? Anything beyond a flat screen/GPS/bluetooth?

Snipershot 07-24-2017 01:05 PM

I drive my car year round unless it snows, or ice is on the road. No snow tires or hard top though. I generally drive it like i stole it and people are chasing me, lol. I dont baby it at all, but i dont purposely try to tear it up. I took it down to Tennessee a couple weeks ago and loved hitting those curvy mountain roads, and i will be going back to do the Hellbender, Moonshiner 28, and any other roads i can find. I drive my car almost every day, so its not just a garage queen. As for interior features, im not real sure, lol. Bluetooth would be nice, maybe a glove box, more storage, or a sport mode button, etc. Im not even sure that i will get rid of my current boxster, i may end up with two, but thats all undecided right now. I read that the 3.4 motor came out in 2007 models, so do those have the same IMS issue as the 3.2? Im leaning pretty heavy towards a 2009 or newer, mainly to avoid the IMS problem.

Joe

dghii 07-24-2017 02:20 PM

I don't know if this will help but....
I've posted about a 2010 base manual with 89k miles. that showed up last year at the local Nissan/Mazda dealer. Not a perfect car but not bad at all nor was it trashed by any means. I got interested as I watched the price drop every few weeks. I was interested due to the no IMS and no DFi of this particular car.

I drove the car a few times and found no issues except...
Newer car wasn't any more fun to drive than my current car.
I negotiated anyway, thinking if I could get the car for $16K plus tax and title, I'd do it.
We got within $800 and I wouldn't budge. I guess if I really wanted the car, I would have bought it or tried to split the difference. $16.8k was a very good price for the car.

So what held me back?
1. New car didn't drive (feel i.e. Subjective) better than my 2000S.
2. My 133k mile car is worth ~$7,500 so if the newer car 'feels' the same, I'm getting is a car with no IMS. That's quite a price to pay for piece of mind, especially since I seem to be driving my car about 2,000 miles a year.
3. No idea what I don't know about the newer car vs. 9 years of history with current car.
4. I live in FL and don't own any gloves!

Best of luck!

Alan Mackew 07-24-2017 05:39 PM

Depreciation v maintenance cost

The other thing to consider is that the depreciation on a later model is going to be greater than your early model.

You need to balance maintenance v depreciation ( plus maintenance ) on the newer car.

IMHO

GTA_G20 07-25-2017 09:02 AM

Interesting thread. I've been wrestling with this exact idea for the last 24hours and couldn't sleep last night lol

I started with a 97 boxster for 8 years. Last summer got a deal on a 04 550 spyder. I've always yearned for a 987. Few years back was looking at '05 and 06s. Then I researched some more and found that the 2007+ got a engine bump from 3.2 > 3.4 and I think 12 or 15 hp. Can't remember. Then as Porsche always does at the end of every production run releases the 'limited edition' models.

I've been wanting a 2008 design edition2 boxster for years but couldn't find any for sale. I've since shifted to the 2008 rs60. The prices are ridiculous and basically the same as a 987.2s with the 3.4 dfi engine.

It's a slippery slope. Figure out exactly which one you want somehow and focus for the right options. It's hurting my head personally

mikefocke 07-25-2017 10:26 AM

'03 gets the glove box. Radio can be updated to modern GPS/bluetooth, Still a 3.2 but do the IMS and the problem goes away for the next 50k miles. Or a 2005 which probably has a replaceable IMS. 2006 on aren't practically replaceable.

What you give up is the car history unless you luck into finding a fellow fanatic's car and he has records dating back to Adam and Eve.

Most_Wanted 07-26-2017 09:17 PM

I love the 986 S i own but for a replacement it would have to be a significant change to justify the added cost. I still enjoy mine and i see that continuing for a very lengthy period of time. IMO Upgrade to at lease a 3.4 better would be a 9A1. 996 or early 997 would be a more significant jump. If i were to get a early 987 it would be primarily for looks. 986 will always be the original timeless "classy" design but the larger rear arches on a 987 always get me. Then if i were to get a 987 i'd find myself wanting a 981 for it's Carerra GT inspired design

Disaster 07-27-2017 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipershot (Post 545089)
I realize opinions vary, but im thinking about buying a newer boxter, and was wondering which one to buy. I dont have a huge budget, and im in no big hurry. I have a 2001 Boxster S, and ive been thinking about a 2006 S, 2009 S, or possibly a 2012ish Boxster S. It seems the 2006-2008 models are the best priced, but that pesky IMS issue lingers with those. Any similar issues with the newer models? Is the 3.4 noticably better than the 3.2? All opinions welcome. Thanks!

Joe

I have a 1998 986 base model 5 speed. These were the sales points for me in going to a 987.2 PDK model...some reliability, some comfort and convenience.

1. Glass rear window.
2. Top is faster and can be operated while rolling (not necessary to stop and apply handbrake.)
3. Heated ventilated seats (improves the comfort level and therefore the length of the top down driving season.
4. Cupholders
5. Glovebox (though I did lose the storage behind the seat with the Bose system.)
6. Reliability (30k less miles, no IMS, no cam chain tensioner ?, etc.)
7. Looks (987 is more serious looking....less cute.)
8. Performance (brakes are now same as S model.)
9. Body condition (12 years newer, less dings and paint chips.)
10. Fewer rattles and squeaks.
11. Frunk slightly deeper (can fit full sized suitcase.)

The negatives (after owning and driving the newer car.)

1. Suspension is less compliant...but yet doesn't seem to yield any improvement in handling.
2. Steering is way underpowered at speed. It isn't necessary to be this stiff to be precise.
3. No spare tire.
4. PCM is still a far cry from modern head units (I had a modern Pioneer double din in my 986.)
5. PDK is possibly the new IMS bearing. While it's reliability is much better, if it fails the only option is a new transmission which runs $16k from Porsche....$8k for a rebuild.
6. Service access is not quite as good.
7. Considerably more expensive to buy and insure. Fun factor to cost ratio is considerably worse.

Quadcammer 07-27-2017 06:24 AM

The IMS is just the tip of the iceberg on these motors. there are damn near 30 different failure modes on these engines and all are expensive. Its a lot of risk for what isn't a particularly powerful or enjoyable engine. DFI for sure for a replacement.