986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Swap Options (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67718)

jonrules12 07-12-2017 11:21 PM

Engine Swap Options

Hey, long time reader, first time poster. Recently have been looking at buying a 2003 Boxster S. Namely because it has a decent stock engine, 2 seats and is lightweight. However, I like to know my options as far as increasing power goes. I have read thus far that engine swaps are usually the go-to for these cars as the 987 engine is similar in size and can easily be transplanted in.

What about turbo engines, something small like an SR20? Thanks for the input (:

rusty69911 07-13-2017 01:00 AM

Im going audi 4.2 v8, I have a 40v 01 a6 to use, good info and simple install on a FB page, v8 Audi boxster

10/10ths 07-13-2017 04:25 AM

No.

These are not drag cars. They are geared for the Autobahn. If you want a more powerful Boxster, just ship her to Flat 6 Innovations and have them build you a 400hp engine. Simple.

Or buy a Corvette.

jonrules12 07-13-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 543913)
These are not drag cars. They are geared for the Autobahn. If you want a more powerful Boxster, just ship her to Flat 6 Innovations and have them build you a 400hp engine. Simple.

Or buy a Corvette.

I mean, forgive me but I like to have fun with my car. I understand that out of the factory cars are tuned to different settings but I never said I wanted to make the car fast in a straight line. I will look into flat 6 innovations though!

jonrules12 07-13-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty69911 (Post 543904)
Im going audi 4.2 v8, I have a 40v 01 a6 to use, good info and simple install on a FB page, v8 Audi boxster

Thanks man I will look into it although I cant seem to find the FB page.

Perfectlap 07-13-2017 08:51 AM

Take your Boxster S to your local track. You will not think it underpowered after that day. That's true even with the 2.5 Boxster. These cars have more than enough power to put you up a tree if you don't know what your doing.

If you want to make it quicker, I would suggest putting the money into lighter wheels (the OZ Allergitas were popular) some sticky r comp rubber, swapping the stock seats with GT3 seats and gutting the interior ala Boxster Spec racing.

fridsten 07-13-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 543940)
Take your Boxster S to your local track. You will not think it underpowered after that day. That's true even with the 2.5 Boxster. These cars have more than enough power to put you up a tree if you don't know what your doing.

I'm not so sure that I agree with you there...
I've taken my 2.5 to a few tracks here in Sweden, and I usually find myself wanting more power on the straights. In the corners I can keep up with most of the other cars, well except for GT3s, GT4s and Turbos, but the pretty much the rest. The annoying thing, though, is that when I catch up with a more powerful car, they just take off on the straight. Two corners later, I'm back on their tail... :rolleyes:

Since I only drive with Porsche Club Sweden, and not in one of the advanced groups, there's no overtaking in the corners. This means that I'm usually glued to the other cars tail for a few laps before they realize that they're blocking me and let me pass. :p

Jgkram 07-13-2017 09:55 AM

Perfectlap is correct. None of the 986's, base or S, are fast cars. Look elsewhere. They are built to maximize their handling potential and were purposefully choked down on power to limit competition with the 911's of their day.

The 2.5's, while some consider underpowered, have plenty of potential as witnessed by the myriad of competing spec Boxsters. And, in the right hands can be devastating to more powerful cars who are driven by the hands of less capable drivers.

Many on here have said before and are correct, find the best condition car you can and learn to drive it well. Some of the best professional race car drivers will tell you that HP, while important, actually contributes less than many other variables that go into making a good race car. That is unless you are going to drag race this thing.

Good luck in your search.

Escy 07-13-2017 02:20 PM

I've got an Audi 2.7t V6 turbo in mine. Expecting around 550bhp when I get it mapped.