Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #1

Need body work :(

I suppose it was just a matter of time, but my wife drove over a curb and scuffed up the body under the passenger door.

I can't blame her too much. I went to look at the driveway into a commercial building where it happened, and the entrance to the driveway is narrow and the edge of curb on the right sticks out unusually high and far. In fact, that concrete curb is all chewed up from other cars that met the same fate.

Anyway, I want to get the car repaired as close to new as I can. Should I take the car back to the dealer (in Newport Beach)? Or is there either a better nearby dealership for body work, or an independent shop?

Any suggestions appreciated.

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
boggtown

well, i just wrote a page of advice and the forum messed up or something. It was everything youd need to know and more, but im too tired to write it again.
HIGHLIGHTS of what i said... kinda.
Dealerships usually have body shops, so go to a good one. Be anal when you talk to the shop manager, tell him it better be perfect or your not paying and he better gaurantee his work. Ask about how many sanding stages it will go through, if they sand all the high spots in the paint before the clear coat. I had a whole hood repainted for cheap on my BMW, it had orange peel, I had to buff swirl marks, and it even had a tiny hair under the clear, so I sold it a week later. A bad paint job will make you die inside everytime you wax it. No one else will notice but you, but we all know what im talking about. If you want more details pm me but im done for now.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #3

Thanks, Boggtown. Any other info appreciated.

The Newport Beach Porsche dealership has no body shop. Supposedly I can get a recommendation from the service dept on Monday.

Still hoping someone in OC, SD or LA knows the best body shop.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
boggtown

http://www.allpar.com/eek/body.html

Id also recommend saying "I want it like glass, or else I wont pick up untill it is "
Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #5

Porsches have a two-part paint system that should be used to repair the car.

I highly recommend that you contact your local PCA rep and ask him/her who they recommend, and if that body shop is familiar with the Porsche painting process to get it right.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal
Thanks, Boggtown. Any other info appreciated.

The Newport Beach Porsche dealership has no body shop. Supposedly I can get a recommendation from the service dept on Monday.

Still hoping someone in OC, SD or LA knows the best body shop.

I would highly recommend Golden Hammer (310) 479-4311 in LA. I as well as my family have used them for all the Porsches/Ferraris/Mercedes we have ever owned. Their work is great however they are a bit on the pricey side. They are a high line body shop which specializes in "exotic" cars. From my experience, they do not budge in price at all, what they say is what it is or you can take your business else ware. Sounds kind of rude but I’ve never once complained about their work which is why I always go back. If you do give them a call as for Rick or Mike.

P.S. If you would like to see samples of their work you are more than welcome to come check out my car.

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3