986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Small leak in rear window (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6727)

kabel 07-13-2006 07:08 PM

Small leak in rear window

Rear window is leaking from a few locations. Looks like the water is entering through some very very small gaps where the stitching runs through the plastic edge of the window. Think I can simply apply some clear silicone to those areas?

TriGem2k 07-13-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
Rear window is leaking from a few locations. Looks like the water is entering through some very very small gaps where the stitching runs through the plastic edge of the window. Think I can simply apply some clear silicone to those areas?

Yes you probably can, or you can treat it with some other meathods. Heres a thought, you just got your best excuse for getting a new glass top from GAHH...

I wish my darn top would go bad already. I shouldn't have had it changed before the warranty went out last year. :cheers:

denverpete 07-14-2006 05:59 AM

Quote:

Here's a question for you: When was the last time you cleaned and sealed your top? I'm certainly no expert, but it almost sounds like what happens with some of my camping gear when I don't treat the seams.

I would try this route first before siliconing anything not originally meant to be siliconed.....

kabel 07-14-2006 06:07 AM

Hehe, that would be nice (not in the budget right now, spending money on our autox toy) and is it my imagination or are the windows smaller on the tops with the glass?

And I cleaned and treated the top just three weeks ago.

The top is otherwise in excellent condition; However I am beginning to think it is a replacement top. Little clues like the fact that it is in such good condition, the leaks around the window stitching, and the absence of the hold back strap (when top is in service position)… who uses Kal-Glas in their tops?

Marc Gelefsky 07-14-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Hehe, that would be nice (not in the budget right now, spending money on our autox toy) and is it my imagination or are the windows smaller on the tops with the glass?

The window is way smaller on the GAHH glass window top, but you get used to it and to be honest I think it kinda looks cool with the small window.