Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

Headlight Doesn't Fit

Purchased 03-04 'white' headlights (98663113114) for my 01 . Passenger side fits perfect, drivers side doesn't. I can push it almost all the way home but there's a 3/4" gap underneath.

Did Porsche change something besides the turn signal color?

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Porsche didn't change anything, but the headlights can be finicky to install. Make sure you have the headlight lined up and slotted into the plastic holder/track on both sides. It sometimes takes me a few tries to get them in correctly. Try to avoid angling the headlight and keep it flat.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

It looks like the little guideblock on the bottom of the inboard side of the light isn't going into the track/channel it is supposed to slot into and then slide back in. You might be able to verify by putting some chalk on those blocks on the bottom of the light unit.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Bought the pair of headlights off fleabay as new Magneti Marelli units. The driver's side parabolic lens was broken and the headlight didn't fit. The seller has been less than helpful (love to drop his name here but I imagine it's frowned upon). Anyway, I had sold my 'fried eggs', which left me stuck. Sooo... back to my least favorite auction site and a different seller for another driver's side light. Same MM box, same part number, and it doesn't fit either. Exactly the same gap below.

Before shipping the original light I verified it still fit the drivers side. I have marked the latest light's tabs with paint and it was dragging on the inner right side more than most but all tabs had witness marks so they're finding the slots. I'm starting to think it's the connector.

MM part number is LUS4362. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Are you sure both of the headlight guide pins are positioned in their respective rails before pushing them in?

Congrats on the new shiners btw!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Are you sure both of the headlight guide pins are positioned in their respective rails before pushing them in?

Congrats on the new shiners btw!
Well, one new shiner.

I've had the lights in and out over the years and never a problem. It's pretty easy to see if all four pins are engaged.

Pulled the yellow keeper on the electrical connector to take it out of play and it still doesn't fit.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filastein View Post
It's pretty easy to see if all four pins are engaged.
True.

Do this, remove the passenger side and measure/compare the height of each side rails in the fenders. Suspect the driver's side bracket gone out of alignment. For whatever reason... double check that. Those headlights are the correct ones and will fit.

Can't be the connector, that is the last 10mm slide they will see. The headlight should already be flushed with the bumper before reaching to that back connector.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

I've had some that were stubborn and wouldn't go in easily. My only suggestion is to keep on trying and double check that it's "IN!". Push on it from behind. I've heard of people thinking the got their headlights in until they came to a stop and they went flying out.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Since you've had two now that had the gap, the problem is your car.
Try adjusting the tray.

The only time I've seen one that far off is when the pegs weren't in the rails, though. I'm not sure the tray will even adjust that far.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Since you've had two now that had the gap, the problem is your car.
Try adjusting the tray.

The only time I've seen one that far off is when the pegs weren't in the rails, though. I'm not sure the tray will even adjust that far.
I was thinking it's the other way around since in between owning both these lights, the original, fried egg light slide right back into position, but maybe that's just confusing the issue.

There are three large brass-looking nuts on the tray. Is their intent to fine tune the headlight fit/aim? Any particular technique to utilizing them?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I've had some that were stubborn and wouldn't go in easily. My only suggestion is to keep on trying and double check that it's "IN!". Push on it from behind. I've heard of people thinking the got their headlights in until they came to a stop and they went flying out.
The light is so out of position that there's no way it will lock. I've tried in the hopes it would pull it into position but it quickly gets to a point where something is gonna break.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Do this, remove the passenger side and measure/compare the height of each side rails in the fenders. Suspect the driver's side bracket gone out of alignment. For whatever reason... double check that.
You already at the brass parts? ^^Might want to check if the tray got out of alignment before. No? Just trying to help man...

Good luck to you
Old 06-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
You already at the brass parts? ^^Might want to check if the tray got out of alignment before. No? Just trying to help man...

Good luck to you
I appreciate any and all help with this issue. Plan on following your suggestion of measuring the guides in comparison to the passenger's side but if I found them out of whack, was inquiring if the brass fittings can make the adjustments.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #14

If you want/need headlights, the cheapest I've seen is at partsgeek. They were $380 each for Magnetti Morelli and $330 for AI. Plus they have a $15 off orders over $300 coupon. If you just want to buy brand new ansforget fleabay.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #15

FWIW, when I pulled the driver's side mounting plate and laid it on the bench, there was a noticeable warping. Bought a used one and the light slid right in.

Not sure how or when it warped, or why the old light would still fit, but success!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Racer Boy

Yay! Thanks for letting us know what it was.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote