Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #1

red brake upgrades - cost?

hey guys,

was wondering, i have the black brakes on the '06 boxster, and was thinking of getting them red. how much do you think total cost would be? would it be better to replace with genuine red brakes, or have the dealer (or somewhere else) just paint them and put a porsche decal on it? what is the cost of everything plus labor? (estimate?)

Thanks!

wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
boggtown

I was wanting the same thing. I called a powder coating place about a month ago and they said about $100 to powdercoat all 4 calipers... the only catch, they have to be completely torn down and itd take a week. I perosnaly dont want to be without my car for a week and I dont think I have the know how to reassemble the caliper, also id have to buy new springs or pins or something you have to replace when you tear a caliper down. If I had someone tear down my calipers, reassemble them, and bleed the brakes for free, id do it.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #3

If you're talking about upgrading to real "big red brakes", you're looking at a couple thousand bucks in parts and whatever labor costs you incur.

I suspect that you guys are just talking about wanting red calipers, in which case you just need a free afternoon and about $25.00 worth of caliper paint. You can buy the paint from any number of retailers. It comes in spray or brush on versions, and in many different colors. I recommend the brush on type. It goes on heavier and is easier to control than the spray type. You don't even need to remove your calipers to paint them (though I do and the job comes out much better).

The caliper paint is ceramic. It flows out nice, dries hard and resists heat. The ones on my Boxster have only been done for a few months, but I've painted the calipers on several of my other cars as well. One that I did almost three years ago, still looks as fresh as day one.

Try it, it's not hard. Grab a set of Porsche decals from ebay, some caliper paint, masking tape and have at it. Just be sure to let the paint set up completely before you put it all back together.

This is how you'll look... :dance:
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
boggtown

Ya, I also painted the brakes on my other car, I just havnt gotten around to it on my boxster yet. But ya, paint works just as good, but nothing is as good as powder coating, thats all im saying.