986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxster Key Magnet (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67214)

alphabeta123 06-19-2017 10:40 AM

Boxster Key Magnet

I lost the the little magnetic piece in my 06 boxster key.

Its the length of a thumb nail and the width of two stacked quarters.

I noticed that none of the key fobs sold online have this magnet.

I am unable to turn my car on without this magnet. Is the key totally worthless or what type of magnet could I buy to replace it? I tried using a simple kitchen magnet did not work.

Appreciate your help. Thank you.

BoxsterSteve 06-19-2017 11:13 AM

Looks like a pill or jumbo grain of rice?
If that's the case, you're SOL. That would be the RFID device that communicates with the car when you turn the key to start it.
Save your shekels, you need to buy a new key from a dealership and have them program it too.

thstone 06-19-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 541291)
Looks like a pill or jumbo grain of rice?
If that's the case, you're SOL. That would be the RFID device that communicates with the car when you turn the key to start it.
Save your shekels, you need to buy a new key from a dealership and have them program it too.

+1.

The little pill device is programmed with a code which is sent via RF signal to the immobilizer to allow the car to start. If you lost the pill, then the car won't even turn over.

The only solution is to get a new pill and then you'll have to have the new pill programmed with the correct code so it communicates with your immobilizer.

Unfortunately, this can only be done by a shop that has the proper test equipment (the Durametric won't do this so you're stuck using a few of the more sophisticated indy's and/or a dealer).

Burg Boxster 06-19-2017 11:23 AM

Magnet? Might you be referring to the battery?

It's size 2032 - same as many other car remote fobs. Found easily in countless pharmacies, grocers, big boxes, hardware stores and of course amazon, etc.

https://www.promoinfo.com.br/img/anuncios/108003.jpg
*not to scale - b/c I don't know what device you are viewing on ;)
but it's about the size of 2 US quarters stacked

Otherwise there is a 'pill' in the fob's head but it's 1/2 the size of a tic-tac. Without it, you're sunk buying a replacement eBay fob b/c you need to xfer yours over. And if you haven't searched yet regarding replacement keys... you MUST have the barcode that comes w/ them (if a new 'pill' is being introduced and not transferring over an existing one to a new fob) b/c keys [the 'pill'] gets programmed to the car...

Good luck :)

alphabeta123 06-19-2017 12:49 PM

OP here:

If I bought a used car key online via amazon/ebay that was already programmed and had the deal reprogram it, would that be possible?

Do dealers reprogram used keys?

-Thank you

Anker 06-19-2017 12:55 PM

It wouldn't be programmed to your car, so it wouldn't save you anything.

rick3000 06-19-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabeta123 (Post 541308)
OP here:

If I bought a used car key online via amazon/ebay that was already programmed and had the deal reprogram it, would that be possible?

Do dealers reprogram used keys?

-Thank you

Used keys are useless without the ID tag, you will need to buy a new key.
The key doesn't get programmed, the car gets programmed to accept that key. If the key doesn't have the ID number tag, there is no way to program it to work with the car.

agrennan 06-20-2017 04:51 AM

+1 on what Rick said.

One more thing, I would keep the blade in your current key. If you order a new transmitter with the pill and new tag ID attached, you can reuse the blade you have. It's the smallest expense of the pieces, but no reason to do it if you don't have to.

I recently made a duplicate key, as my car only came with one. Got the fob/pill/tag for about $125 online, blade for $5 and had it cut locally for $20, and got everything programmed at the dealership for $115.