Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #1

Okay Boxster Wrenchers...ignition ?

My '98 986 has an issue with the ignition key module.

When I turn the key to crank it on, it get's stuck in the "right" position, and many of the electronics including fan/ac/etc. are all weak, this includes headlights.

I have to manually crank the key back to the left about 25 degrees or so, then everything works perfectly. Unfortunately, sometimes, it cranks back to far and shuts the engine off.

Which part of the ignition do I need to replace? Which parts?

Is it just the ignition switch???

Anyone replaced on before? Hard, not too bad?

Kindest,

Mike

Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Garage
This was the first things I had to do when I got my 03 base. It was finicky to begin with and then just locked up. Good news is that the switch itself is inexpensive. Bad news is you basically have to stand on your head to swap it out, and there's not a lot of room behind the dash to work on it. I ended up having an indy shop do it and I think it was under $150 parts and labor.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Chances are it's just the switch, if you search on here there's a post every couple of days that comes down to 'replace your ignition switch'!

The part's cheap (make sure you get the 4B0-905-849 one, not the A version, for your early car) and changing it is pretty easy with just a small screwdriver required...except for having to cram yourself into the footwell head first and upside-down to reach it!

Check this thread for some suggestions... http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Project Addicted

A normal maintenance job on the Box, not hard to do and not expensive.

You need a new ignition switch, not the key part but the electrical part on the back of the key part. Do a search on here and you will find lots of write ups. The Porsche is the same as an Audi part, so when you are searching, pay attention to that part numbers. The P car part might be $50 where the Audi part is $8. The P car tax will get you every time!!

I did mine thru the opening where the AC vent is on the dash. No laying in the footwell for me. Too old and larger for that.

Good luck!
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Chances are it's just the switch, if you search on here there's a post every couple of days that comes down to 'replace your ignition switch'!

The part's cheap (make sure you get the 4B0-905-849 one, not the A version, for your early car) and changing it is pretty easy with just a small screwdriver required...except for having to cram yourself into the footwell head first and upside-down to reach it!

Check this thread for some suggestions... http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html
Posted about this today. Check your switch first to see if you need the "A" or "B" A lot of parts houses and the internet have the early version wrong. I pulled mine last night, took me 20 minutes. The key was using a SMALL and SHORT screwdriver. I then wrapped layers and layers of tape on the shaft of the screwdriver for leverage, i.e makeshift handle.

ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote