Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
IronDeadPool

2001 Boxster convertible Clamshell issues

How are you my fellow Boxster owners,
Having some issue with my top, I have used the SEARCH button so please be nice.

Here is the video showing my issue, I have an idea but wanted to speak with the experts first. https://youtu.be/sC0P4ye-_u0

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Did you hear a pop? Something probably slipped off, or broke on the passenger side. Only the driver side is actually raising the clamshell. You are good to stop it. Go too far and it will fold over.

Most likely culprit is usually the ball joint cap which snaps in half. There isn't enough light on the right hand side to see from your video.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #3

I had the exact same issue. The Ball joint plastic end piece broke and came loose. I also had a broken cable going from the motor to the right side transmission. Fairly easy to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986ohana View Post
How are you my fellow Boxster owners,
Having some issue with my top, I have used the SEARCH button so please be nice.

Here is the video showing my issue, I have an idea but wanted to speak with the experts first. https://youtu.be/sC0P4ye-_u0
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
IronDeadPool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczap View Post
I had the exact same issue. The Ball joint plastic end piece broke and came loose. I also had a broken cable going from the motor to the right side transmission. Fairly easy to repair.

Is there anyway you can help, I'm not that handy. Send pics or a video of what to do or at least get started.

Project IronDeadPool
Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

You can buy just the ball joint(Search!) metal or plastic FleBay
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Pretty sure if it was the balljoint then the top wouldn't open (or would be making noises), but your clamshell still would. I think Disaster called it, the cable for your right (driver) side has snapped or come loose, so only the driver side transmission is being run, the left (passenger) side is just being forced up.

Pretty easy to get in and have a look, the pictures on the pelican page here should help... Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Basically there's a motor right in the rear middle, under the clamshell, a little metal box (figure 6) with a black plastic cover on it normally. That drives 2 black cables that run to the transmissions mounted on either side inside the top area. These turn a v shaped lever that drives 2 push levers on each side, one of which attaches to the top (via the ball joint that often snaps), and one of which attaches to the clamshell (via the piston looking thing). If the cable slips, snaps or comes out of one side at either the motor or transmission end, that side doesn't open.

You'll want to try to lift the clamshell as much as you can safely (but don't push it or you can bend the clamshell or cause further issues), and then try to get a look at the motor first, the cables just go into a hole on each side and are held in by a small metal clip show in figure 6. If the right one's come out just put it back in and maybe replace the clip if it's gone missing.

If it's not that simple, you can try to remove the clips that hold the clamshell levers onto the pivot point show in the inset image here with the yellow arrow http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/03-BASICS-Air_Filter/images_large/Pic3.jpg
If you can slide these off on both sides (lift the tab then slide out) you should be able to then pull the arm inwards a bit and off it's pivot. If you can do that both side you can then just slide the clamshell up and forward as shown in the larger image. Then you will have full access to the top area and can check all the way down the cable to the transmission end for issues. Also check if your cable is smooth (old type) or has criss-crosses down it (new). The old ones are prone to stretching which will cause this, then you just need to fit new cables.

That should get you started, and if you search on here with 'clamshell stuck' you will find plenty of other discussion, promise

Last edited by oldskool73; 05-18-2017 at 08:47 AM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
You'll want to try to lift the clamshell as much as you can safely (but don't push it or you can bend the clamshell or cause further issues)
You can quickly tell if the cable is the problem by looking under the side that is not moving while the other side is being raised. If you don't see the arm moving like it is on the other side it is the cable. If you see it moving than it is the connection to the clamshell.

Can't say this enough. Don't move it further than you did on the video. The clamshell will fold and crease and be ruined. Gets real expensive if you have to add that to your replacement cost.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Oldskool is correct, the convertible top repair page is what I used to fix my top. Very helpful and not that difficult. It did take me a bit of work to get both sides in sync again after replacing my passenger side cable. If it is just the ball joint that is a pretty easy fix.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Or you can convert to a simple, muscle powered manual top and never have a problem again -Itsnotanova published the how-to.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
IronDeadPool

You guys are really amazing, I was worried about posting this issue as I have seen a few threads where a few ppl chew out the poster! But again thank you so much I’ll let you all know how it goes!

Project IronDeadPool