Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

Garage
Transmission Question

Hope someone has a crystal ball...

I took my 2004 6speed to the transmission shop to get the 1st to 2nd gear fixed.

They replaced a bunch of parts.

We installed a new duel mass fly wheel, pressure plate and friction plate.

Now here is the new problem..

When in neutral we are getting a loud ticking noise from the very back of
the transmission.

The transmission shop removed the unit and dismantled it,they can't find anything wrong???

Any suggestions? Anyone ever had any issues like this?

I dropped $4000 and it still doesn't work.

We are open to any suggestions. Any at all!!!!!

I don't want to start throwing parts at it.

Please HELP!

My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your issue. If no one on the forum may have some input about your issue I suggest you go to our transmission removal article here: Porsche Boxster Transmission Removal - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article. One of our techs should come in and have some input for you. Just be sure to scroll to the bottom and copy/paste your post here into the comment box. Good luck and I hope you figure the issue out soon.
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

There are very few Threads on repairing the transaxle.To get you started ,you need to give us much more info/diagnosis. Start with is it a 5 speed or 6 ! ?
Invest in a Steelman Electronic Engine Ear to help precisely locate the source of the noise - before they dismantle it again.A screwdriver is unacceptable as a tool for such work.
Test it with the gearshift cables disconnected at the transmission. Try moving the shift arms on the side of the gearbox very slightly to affect the noise. It may be that it is just a shift linkage issue?
The smartest Pro forum member on this subject is probably GTGears. The other Search would be Erik Johnson. You could call CMS or GBox?

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-10-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

Garage
It is a 2004 - 6 speed
They have taken it apart and can not find anything they can find.
They say everything looks great!

I'm not sure what to do?
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

There are legal/contract issues here that I'll leave for others.
Mechanically, it is your mechanic's decision to reassemble or not. Let him decide.
Once he has done that, it is also his decision to refit it (or not).
Always a chance they did find the cause but were too embarrassed to say so -or disclose what damage)if any) was done.
If it is installed and makes the same noise see Post 3 above.
One of the many difficult stages of working on the 6 speed is refitting the case over the internals. Simply put, the shafts are often reluctant to go in the correct holes. That may have been the cause of the noise ?
An experienced rebuilder of this gearbox(also used by Audi) would have a good idea what the issue was.
https://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/01e-speed-full-rebuild-kit-jhm-performance-jhm-updated-collar-p-2054.html

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote