Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
KronixSpeed

Ipod Install for the Cheapos...very good if you ask me!

Hey anyone else have any interesting Ipod set up. Here is mine that i wanted to share. Very easy install, for those who just want to listen to the ipod on the stock stereo deck. N for those who aren't too fussy about quality of sound or extra features.

Mine was a very easy set-up, cable straight from the back of the stock decks, cd aux, to the storage compartment to my ipod. yes it lacks the abilty to be controlled, hence why I bought the airways remote control that works fairly good. It gives you skip tracks, volume, pause. No you don't get to see the names of the songs or change playlists while driving. But turn it to your favourite playlist and you have the ability to scroll through and change songs. No you can't see the song titles on the stock deck, but I really didnt need that feature for $399.00 + install. My total cost was $30 cable and $60 for remote control, and an easy do it yourself install. Really easy.

Here is my set up.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
KronixSpeed

------------------
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #3

Not a bad little setup. I think I shall try it as well.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
KronixSpeed

cool. if you do the install yourself, which is really easy. don't take anything apart, other then pulling your deck out. the wires nicely tuck into the side of the middle console, and hide nicely into the back of the storage compartment. so don't unscrew anything. just run the wire from the back of the deck and under and tuck under and away.

make sure you get the stereo keys to pull out the deck. i had to buy them for $5. i didn't even know that these keys existed. didn't come with my car for some reason or in my tool kit. i got lucky and the guy that i bought the aux cable from sold me the keys....
Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #5

seems cool

hey, do you think this would work on my 05? I am assuming it eliminates the need for the itrip which loses signal ever 3 songs right?
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
KronixSpeed

Hey, as long as you don't have a CD Changer hooked up....because the aux cable goes from CD Changer input on the back of the deck to the ipod.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #7

Very slick setup. I don't actually have an Ipod - but I like the clean look.

Great job!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
boggtown

I accualy went and bought an ipod compatable cd player for my car. I can contral it all through the head unit and its a lot easier than my old setup in my last car (I hooked up rca cables to the AUX input).
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #9

How do Pull out Stereo?

so what's a stereo key? also I went home last night and searched but couldn't find any place to pull the stereo out from.....I have an 05'.....its surrounded by leather looking panels.....the good part is it seems the wire will tuck right in....anyone know?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #10

The "stereo keys" are just little metal pull tabs that slide into very small slots atthe bottom corners of the HU. They're standard industry things and are only a couple bucks. Go on Crutchfield.com and look at the accessories they offer with a HU and you'll see what they look like.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster
The "stereo keys" are just little metal pull tabs that slide into very small slots atthe bottom corners of the HU. They're standard industry things and are only a couple bucks. Go on Crutchfield.com and look at the accessories they offer with a HU and you'll see what they look like.
wait, so all I have to do to pull out the stereo is buy two little keys that anyone can get a hold off? there has to be more to it than that.......what else? anyone?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
KronixSpeed

hey, yes you buy two metal keys that insert into the front of your stereo deck. they are small tiny little slots that the keys go into. n you pull on the two keys and out comes the stereo deck. don't pull too hard as the deck is attached by a harness cable and wires going into the back of the deck.

i'm sure you can buy the two keys at a porsche dealership. mine cost $5.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #13

that's crazy!

man that's good to know....so I guess never leave the top down huh....the stereo is that easy to steal....wow
Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #14

Hey! That's exactly where mine is! Only difference is I have the Harmon/Kardon drive+play system. It's a great place to keep the iPod and very easy in the 986 to run the wires. Haven't spliced the power directly, but I probably will when it's not 100 degrees outside :P
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
boggtown

HEY! I had my cd player fixed today (the horn honked once when I locked it), There is a blue and brown wire leading to the metal plate that holds the cd player, to stop it all you have to do is insulate the wire from contacting the plate or radio or something (I had an audio place do it, you cant just cut the wire either) and it is fixed. Pass it on because I know I was calling dealerships for a couple days trying to get that info.