Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 AM   #1

Bose Bass Box

Hi i've tried searching but i can't seem to find anything on it. I have the bose bass box and i want to put it into my 2000 986, but it didn't already have speakers in the back, no plug on the rollbar. So i was just wondering if anyone knew how i could install it. Thanks!

z24modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

What door speakers and headunit are you using?
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

FWIW, after my stock headunit and amp died, I installed a Kenwood headunit and ran separate wires back to the stock Bose rear unit. (The stock wiring to the box appears to have some unwanted crossovers--I wasn't getting full-range sound until I ran new wires.) The Kenwood headunit drives the rear Bose unit--and all of the other stock speakers--just fine.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

My stereo guy said it's an odd ohm speaker(s). Check that. It needs its own amp or a bigger one.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
My stereo guy said it's an odd ohm speaker(s). Check that. It needs its own amp or a bigger one.
Nah... It works fine with the Kenwood head unit, which can deal with 2- or 4-ohm speakers. Even if the Bose box eventually kills the head unit, the head unit was only about a hundred bucks... I can buy four more of them for the price of a decent amp. (And I would never add weight to this car with a separate amp in the first place...)