Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

2 Boxsters at CMP

I ran an event last weekend at CMP with Just Track It and HPDEJunkie.com and it was a blast. There was only one other Boxster there, fellow forum member Barchetta (there was one more scheduled but work got in the way). It was my first time at CMP and it was great.

On Sunday afternoon we ran some sessions, and this third session was probably one of my most fun sessions ever. We took turns doing lead/follow and it was a blast.

https://youtu.be/gueRwqrzXGU

This was my first experiment using the RaceCapture/Track data logger, and I was pretty impressed that the OBDII data (RPM and TPS) were able to update as rapidly as they did. When I use Harry's with an OBDLink dongle, the performance is horrible (https://youtu.be/kIeSeVtGrlY). RaceCapture/Track is supported now by HLT but I couldn't get it to work with HLT, it kept reporting the GPS accuracy at 500+ feet and wouldn't trigger any laps. This was my first time using the free DashWare software which turned out to be pretty cool. it does seem to modify the audio and make it a little tinny, I am going to have to work on that. Note that the brake is calculated from braking acceleration, what seemed to work pretty decent is to set up the brake pedal to light up from .2 to .8 braking G's. At least it looks cool

Our goal was to break 2:00, and we had some 1:59's in this session, but our best sessions were first thing Sunday morning when it was nice and cool, we both got high 1:58's/low 1:59's.

https://youtu.be/vYfCh0QWcyg

There is more time to be had (that is the ongoing challenge ) but it was a lot of fun.

I am travelling for work right now but I am making another video with some more chases, and some spills and thrills.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I use Harry's with a Kiwi bluetooth OBD and a Dual GPS
I find it works well and very accurate, typically within .05 seconds off of the transponder times

The dual GPS is 5 hz and the builtin GPS in an iPhone is 10 hz so around 15ft IIRC for the 5 hz
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
RaceCapture/Track is supported now by HLT but I couldn't get it to work with HLT, it kept reporting the GPS accuracy at 500+ feet and wouldn't trigger any laps.
I just chatted with Harry (via the forum) and he is releasing an update 21.0.7 soon that will address the bug that some of us were seeing, with HLT not triggering laps with the RaceCapture/Track due to a directionality issue.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I use Harry's with a Kiwi bluetooth OBD and a Dual GPS
I find it works well and very accurate, typically within .05 seconds off of the transponder times

The dual GPS is 5 hz and the builtin GPS in an iPhone is 10 hz so around 15ft IIRC for the 5 hz
I've heard good things about those brands and the iPhone, I have an Amazon Android BLU R1-HD (with "special offers"), it is a pretty low powered phone - when I just use HLT with a QStarz 818XT GPS at 5hz it is great. I think adding in the OBDLink is just too much for my phone and it slows it down...

I don't care as much about seeing RPM, but I would like to be able to see the throttle position in my videos to help identify spots where I am not getting on the gas when I could/should be....
Old 05-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Here is another session from Sunday, this one is from Sunday morning, it has some more Boxster time in it - we gridded up and ran a few laps with me in front, then he caught me and I tried to keep up.

If you have never done that before it is a lot of fun

https://youtu.be/Q3QZLOGnDNc

Making these videos is very educational - I have now learned that I rub my face way too much when driving, and also when I give a point by I hang my elbow out the window after the point by, and then pull it back it when I get back on it. I am surprised I have never been black flagged.. Maybe my elbow is just propped on the side rest. Either way though, now that I know I do it, I can try to stop...
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Here is another session from Sunday, this one is from Sunday morning, it has some more Boxster time in it - we gridded up and ran a few laps with me in front, then he caught me and I tried to keep up.

If you have never done that before it is a lot of fun

https://youtu.be/Q3QZLOGnDNc

Making these videos is very educational - I have now learned that I rub my face way too much when driving, and also when I give a point by I hang my elbow out the window after the point by, and then pull it back it when I get back on it. I am surprised I have never been black flagged.. Maybe my elbow is just propped on the side rest. Either way though, now that I know I do it, I can try to stop...
How do you embed the YouTube video? I tried several ways, but didn't succeed.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
How do you embed the YouTube video? I tried several ways, but didn't succeed.
On YouTube I go to Share, Embed, and then I just copy and paste the little blurb they give me. Here is another one:

And here is the little snippet (let me see if this will show up)

HTML Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/frm8VS-wfZo?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It seems to almost be random, I have had it not work before as well, and sometimes it seems to selectively not work only in certain threads.