Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #1

Windshield wiper stalk problem?

I have already replaced my 4-stalk steering column stalk switch module once about 5 years ago when the turn indicator switch broke and would no longer self-cancel.

Now the windshield wipers are acting up as follows. When I briefly nudge the stalk upwards, they used to do one full sweep and return. Now, they just move when the stalk is being nudged and they will stick wherever they are when I release it. They still work as normal if I leave them in the other three positions but I miss the ability to control them on demand (I don't have intermittent functionality).

Would I be right in assuming that the problem here is most likely to be with the stalk switch contacts and not with a relay located elsewhere or anything else?

I guess I'll need to spring for a replacement 3-stalk switch 99661321710EWC (and swap the OBC stalk) over but perhaps it's worth spraying some electrical contact spray in there to see if that revives it?

MogulBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Project Addicted

Replace the relay first as that is certainly the problem. We had the non park issue and it required a new relay to fix.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

Thanks but I was unclear when I said that "I don't have intermittent functionality". What I meant to say was that I don't have the variable intermittent functionality - just in case that was in any way relevant, which it probably isn't.

Mz regular non-variable intermittent function is working fine (e.g. when I move the stalk down one position).

[I even quickly pulled the relay [position 16] to confirm that when the relay is out, this intermittent function is unavailable but the other wiper functions still work as before.]

My issue is that a quick nudge on the stalk (either up or down) only moves the wiper arms for the duration of that nudge but as soon as I release the pressure on the stalk, the arms stop where they are. I either have to repeat this nudging malarky to get them to complete the wipe or move the stalk into one of the three positions and then back to off, upon which the arms always return to the correct park position.

Is there another relay, or some other circuitry built-in to the switch assembly that tells the motor to complete one full wipe when it receives a momentary nudge?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #4

I fitted a replacement (brand new) set of PIAA Si-Tech wiper blades and bingo, the problem has gone.

The drag caused by the previous set (of 4yr old PIAAs) must have been enough to confuse the wiper motor that there was an obstruction and it interrupted the sweep.

I love a happy ending.