986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Should I do the clutch now (maybe a performance one w/ lightweight flywheel)? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6677)

deliriousga 07-08-2006 08:58 AM

Should I do the clutch now (maybe a performance one w/ lightweight flywheel)?

When it rains it pours. :rolleyes:

The Boxster was out on the driveway the past week (covered of course) while I was fixing my "you used the wrong grease on the clutch bozo" problem with the 928. I'm ready to go back to diagnostics for the Boxster's idle and no power problem so I pushed her back into the garage to get ready for lifting. I look out in the driveway and there's a nice puddle of oil sitting there. After lifting her, I pulled the pans off and we have a rear main seal leak.

Since I'm going to have to pull the entire tranny and clutch out to do the RMS, should I just go ahead and replace the clutch? The current clutch has 82K miles on it but it still feels great. Also, if I replace it, has anyone put in a lightweight flywheel/performance clutch package in? How do you like it?

TIA!! :cheers:

spine911 07-08-2006 10:05 AM

At 82k mi. id definitely replace the Clutch to compensate for the whole RMS labor.

blinkwatt 07-08-2006 10:55 AM

If you are going to do the RMS I would just change out the clutch as well. A OEM clutch kit will run you about $215-280 new off eBay.

Perfectlap 07-08-2006 12:38 PM

are you using the factors RMS or are you trying the Cayenne one?

PorscheDoc 07-08-2006 01:20 PM

Yup, replace the clutch while you are in there. Boxster clutch is very cheap compared to the other models. Also, you can have the dual mass flywheel turned at a machine shop that has a surface grinder (your typical auto parts store will not be able to turn it). Our shop charges us about 60 bucks to turn the dual mass flywheels.

MemphisJim 07-08-2006 06:04 PM

Doc-

Is there a specific step height when having the flywheel resurfaced?

Thanks,
Jim

bigislandboxster 07-08-2006 07:06 PM

Congrats on going 82k on your clutch! ;)

Yeah, I'd say you might as well while you're in there....Kill 2 birds at once....

deliriousga 07-09-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
are you using the factors RMS or are you trying the Cayenne one?

I don't know. Is there any proof that the Cayenne one fits properly or just rumors? I have seen other threads where people talk about "it's supposed to fit..." but I haven't seen any where someone said "I put it in and it works". If you know of any, please share and I'll consider doing that to see if it takes care of the problem permanently.

PorscheDoc 07-09-2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MemphisJim
Doc-

Is there a specific step height when having the flywheel resurfaced?

Thanks,
Jim

Nope, they usually take off the bare minimum to even out the flywheel. Usually they aren't too far off, but it is cheap insurance to make sure the new clutch disc seats properly and smoothly. IIRC the numbers that usually get marked on the flywheel are .01 or less. I think I have one sitting on my shelf that was milled .008

Brucelee 07-09-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliriousga
I don't know. Is there any proof that the Cayenne one fits properly or just rumors? I have seen other threads where people talk about "it's supposed to fit..." but I haven't seen any where someone said "I put it in and it works". If you know of any, please share and I'll consider doing that to see if it takes care of the problem permanently.

The guy who writes the tech col. in Panorama indicated that all service shops were now using the Cayeene seal.

Hope that helps.

deliriousga 07-09-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
The guy who writes the tech col. in Panorama indicated that all service shops were now using the Cayeene seal.

Hope that helps.

Fantastic! Thanks Rich.