Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Need some help with the shift linkage

on my regular "poke around" I noticed some rubber "washers" on my shift linkage are quite toast.

notice the rubber piece that came off the joint:

I have no shifting issues at all but what's going on there can't be good for the linkage. Is there any "rebuild kit" for these linkages or would I be able to buy just those rubber "washers" to freshen up? A complete shift linkage that I can find for sale is VERY pricey.

thanks in advance,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Second issue with the transmission:

The mess you see is because of an inner cv boot cracking and spilling some grease. that has since been fixed but the tranny was not cleaned to a squeaky clean level.

Ignoring that, I did however spot a couple of drops of oil on the lowest part of the tranny under the open hole in the cover plate. I believe it's dripping down to that part and I've noticed some seeping down to the drain plug hole as well. I'm pretty sure the drain plug is good because I recently replaced it while doing a flush and I checked it a couple more times (guessing I see a drop there because it's the lowest part of the tranny). The leak is minimal, I checked the level after a few months and it was the same but I'd like to figure it out.

When I sort this linkage issue out I plan on cleaning the tranny really good and look for leaks on a clean slate right now I just can't figure where it's coming from.

My question for now is: are there any common places for these trannies to leak? Could it be leaking around the shift linkage? Any places for me to check while I'll be there?

It's a 2000 5 spd manual.

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote