Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

kindly help! obd error code on 986 2.5L Porsche: toothed belt out of position

Hi

I recently got my engine back for a repair. My mechanic has not been very honest or open to me about what's being done.

The engine came back better (suffered from a blown gasket with milkshare sputtering out of radiator previously)

Few days ago I hear a flapping sound. The flapping sound got louder and I sought a second opinion..

Obd codes from another mechanic shows this:

The second mechanic says it could be the engine. But he is not sure which part.

Can someone help?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 AM   #2

Garage
Bank 1 camshaft out of timing. You need a good mechanic.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Bank 1 camshaft out of timing. You need a good mechanic.
Exactly that. Looks like he's not been paying attention.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Could this explain why my fuel consumption is in the dumps? I was burning fuel like mad.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

And could this remotely have anything to do with the hydraulic lifters? I spoke to my mechanic today, he kept saying the fluttering sound could be due to hydraulic lifters.

Can the toothed belt out of position error be related to the hydraulic lifters?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #6

And what is a toothed belt? Timing chain? Some kinda pulley?

My engine is misfiring?

Thanks for all input. I'm at a loss here. The mechanic still hasn't seen my car yet.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Your mechanic hasn't been honest? Time for a new mechanic. Find someone with knowledge specific to M96/M97 engines. Using the wrong mechanic or one who 'thinks' they know whet they are doing but don't can be fatal to your engine.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
And what is a toothed belt? Timing chain? Some kinda pulley?

My engine is misfiring?

Thanks for all input. I'm at a loss here. The mechanic still hasn't seen my car yet.

You don't have a toothed belt, you have timing chains. It sounds like in the rebuild the mechanic hasn't lined them up properly and the timing is slightly out which will in turn make the valves open at the wrong time.

Because of that you will get horrible mpg and if you keep driving you could do a lot more damage depending on when in the cycle it's igniting. If it's pre-igniting before the piston fully compresses that's real bad and you will end up burning things, if it's post-igniting then it's not so bad and you'll just feel a loss of power as most of the mixture has been sucked away down the exhaust valve and you'll just end up killing your cats. Ideally an engine should ignite the mix as the piston has just started it's downwards travel and has compressed the mix to make the nice big bang we know and love. Anything either side of that (especially if it ignites on the way up) is bad news.

If your car did have a toothed belt it would be as easy as popping the belt off, lining everything up and putting it back on. But seeing as you don't i would be getting that mechanic out to tow that car back to his garage and sort it out.

Last edited by That986; 05-04-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
You don't have a toothed belt, you have timing chains. It sounds like in the rebuild the mechanic hasn't lined them up properly and the timing is slightly out which will in turn make the valves open at the wrong time.

Because of that you will get horrible mpg and if you keep driving you could do a lot more damage depending on when in the cycle it's igniting. If it's pre-igniting before the piston fully compresses that's real bad and you will end up burning things, if it's post-igniting then it's not so bad and you'll just feel a loss of power as most of the mixture has been sucked away down the exhaust valve and you'll just end up killing your cats. Ideally an engine should ignite the mix as the piston has just started it's downwards travel and has compressed the mix to make the nice big bang we know and love. Anything either side of that (especially if it ignites on the way up) is bad news.

If your car did have a toothed belt it would be as easy as popping the belt off, lining everything up and putting it back on. But seeing as you don't i would be getting that mechanic out to tow that car back to his garage and sort it out.
Thank you for the extremely helpful post. May I kindly ask for your opinion on the awful fluttering sound emanating from my engine?

I've uploaded a short video on it. Does that sound like what you have described?

Much appreciated.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

This is the video. Thank uhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590b45966c1bc/videocompress-023-20170503_192353.mp4

Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Without sounding horrible the noise could be a few things (haven't listened to it) and engines shouldn't be making any untoward noises.

Just get it back to the mechanic, slap him hard and ask him to sort it out.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #12

You have a number of good choices as far as Porsche service in Singapore.

The information that you have been posting here does not give any of us the comfort level to believe that they are competent, and you yourself seem to be floundering.

Specifically, which shop has been telling you what you have told us, and where exactly are you located?

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote